I need help again "shocker"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold_Steel

Reaction score
WashingtoniansLogo.jpg

I need a beer name and a label. Something Simple elegant and washington dc.
My friend who was helping thought of the name Contemplation Tripel. I really liked alot.

Does anyone have any input? Or ideas. ****I am going to sell beer so the label has to be original (somewhat hehehe). So anyone who can help I would really appricate it.

Thanks Guys

I was thinking that also. "Washingtonians", as a word, just looks odd. Why not just Washington Brewing Company or Columbia Brewing Company.

Potomac Porter has a nice ring.

crystalcabot: I did a rough label for you, but I can't seem to get the image to paste, I don't have any image hosting (flikr, etc...) so i can't post a link to it either. Apparently I missed the "How to post pics in the forums" day in school. :( How do you post a pic here? Regards, GF.

I am with everyone else. Washingtonian just doesn't flow out the tongue right. It sounds awkward. But you said it's a local name, so I guess it makes sense to the locals

What style do you need a name for? I really like the name and the logo.

Get off his balls already! Or I'll start making fun of your stupid ass names.

How about using Hill Toppers in a name. Or maybe bring in some olde school themes, like "The Fall of the Whigs", or "Angry Election Ale" with an old caricature of Jefferson and Adams.

See this is why I needed your help guys those are just awesome names. I mean really good. Thank you so much and Boerderij_Kabouter's I want to throw a special shout out to you. If you ever need anything, I got your back ;)
EDK did you use to live here?

See this is why I needed your help guys those are just awesome names. I mean really good. Thank you so much and Boerderij_Kabouter's I want to throw a special shout out to you. If you ever need anything, I got your back ;)
EDK did you use to live here?

Yea, Boerderlj's comment got me focused on the actual topic of the thread. And no, though I do have a cousin who lives in Anne Arudnel County, Maryland - which may may not be part of the washingtonian area - I have not lived around D.C. Treasury Tripel and the sister city reference were merely thoughts that came to mind while perusing wikipedia (those two names being my least favorite of the list)

Potomac Porter is my favorite and of course everyone knows where it is, so I didn't need wiki for that.

Do you have a porter? If not, you need one!

If you want to relate to washingtonians in general I suppose landmarks, areas, parks, counties, cities, even well known streets (major thoroughfares?) are a good way to make the connection. For example, Contemplation Tripel sounds interesting (though that word is way too long for my likes), how does that relate to the D.C. area? I'm from the Philadelphia area and I find us contemplative as well... I think : )

Its funny about the Potomac Porter because it really falls into two catogories. Its the river and a neighborhood. A very RICH neighborhood. Yeah I was really glad Boerderlj's stepped in and regulated. It reminded me of this.... [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x5Olen_1co]YouTube - Warren G - Regulate[/ame]
and hes damn good too.

No offense, but a lot of your posts seem very "beginner" (Nothing wrong with that). But maybe learn A LOT more about brewing and practice a lot more before worrying about labels and names and trying to sell your beer!

Even though I don't like the word Washingtonian it will make sense to someone who is "local". You can't go anywhere without seeing that damn magazine.

No offense, but a lot of your posts seem very "beginner" (Nothing wrong with that). But maybe learn A LOT more about brewing and practice a lot more before worrying about labels and names and trying to sell your beer!

No your totally right. I am sorry I asked for help. Thanks for shutting me down someone needed to do it.

Didn't mean to offend you, sorry you took it that way. I was just trying to offer some realistic viewpoints. A lot of guys come on here and immediately start talking about selling beer with no idea how much work, start up money, Permits, licensing it actually takes. Not to mention the skill level / ability to consistently re-produce the same beers that your customers will be expecting.

I didn't mean anything negative when I say your posts seemed "beginner". I simply meant that it seems like you're mostly still starting out with brewing, as am I after a year and a half, on a brewing for money scale.

Again, sorry if I offended you, it was not my intentions to be harsh or judgmental. I was just trying to offer some reality. Have you looked into the licensing and permits required to sell you beer? I'm assuming you're aware you can't just walk up to a bar and start selling it.

IrregularPulse may have hit the nail on the head and said some things that others of us might have been thinking. We all have visions of grandeur at times and thats just fine. Coming up with labels for homebrew are just fine too (though, as he said, the beer is the more important thing) and if you enjoy coming up with them, get to it - have fun with it, don't stress.

But the commercial side of brewing is a whole different ball game and honestly, coming from a Graphic Designer, if you ARE a commercial business, the best thing to do may be to hire a designer and have professional logo/labels produced.

At any rate, this book linked below is a good read and can put the costs into prospective (just remember those were costs years ago - imagine what they could be now).

Beer School

It's written by the founders of Brooklyn Brewery.

Oh, and by the way, you may not have looked into this, but (at least in jersey) you need a brewery license just to make the beer commercially which I heard will run you like $10,000 and than another license to distribute which is multitudes more - not sure how it works in DC though.

Last edited by a moderator:
You dont have to post if you dont want too. You really dont. Its not on topic and really just not kind. Yes I have looked and I am not going to layout my business plan for your justification. Im not.
I just wanted help with my label and beer names and for those who did Thank you very much.

I like the font. It's a little big, though. If you are trying to show it's DC vs state, the dome is not very recognizable to most because of the lack of detail. Maybe more of an image that says DC (old image of DC?). Maybe make the BC look like DC in the wording?

What's with the negativity in here? Jeez.... HBT is supposed to be a supportive community people. Did a shipment of pissed in wheaties come in from China or something?

Lay off!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

If you don't have something to contribute positively, in this or any other thread, just don't say anything. Why is that so hard???

Crystalcabot is obviously try hard, is not a spammer, is kind, asks good questions, and is working toward a dream. Don't get on his balls. I can't believe I am scolding for the second time in one thread. Don't be a dick!

What about instead of the Capitol building you went with a more iconic DC structure that's not easily confused such as the White House or one of the memorials/monuments? Thomas Jefferson was a brewer so the Jefferson Memorial might be good.

Just a thought...

What about instead of the Capitol building you went with a more iconic DC structure that's not easily confused such as the White House or one of the memorials/monuments? Thomas Jefferson was a brewer so the Jefferson Memorial might be good.

Just a thought...

That crossed my mind too put than again "washingtonian brewing company" is right there under it, so maybe it doesn't need it? What if there was just like an elegant line drawing of some sort of greek/roman column to the left, like this:

http://onyx.malagraphixia.com/corel_draw/images/ionic_column.gif

To relate to the architecture of D.C.

I'm also not sure if crystal is asking us for an overall logo or just something to go along with what she posted as a specific beer type label.

Sorry for the "negative comments" I really was only trying to to point truthful points that need considered for brewing professionally. I don't apologize for what I've said but won't touch that subject again.
As far as the label, I agree that Washingtonians doesn exactly flow off the tonuge, but if it's a popular phrase there and you only plan on selling locally then go for it. Are you planning on using the graphic on the bottles as well with then a simple Beer name under it for each one? Or will they be different per batch? Do you have a sample label drawn up yet besides the logo? I would imagine you would have to have ingredients list, abv% and all the standard Gooberment warnings on there. Just something to keep in mind and leave space for when designing the layouts. (<-- trying to be helpful with suggestions, not criticize for not having it already)

See this is why I needed your help guys those are just awesome names.

What style do you need a name for? I really like the name and the logo.

Get off his balls already! Or I'll start making fun of your stupid ass names.

Okay, you "Had to scald twice in one thread". No, He asked for name assistance, people offered him suggestions for why they didn't like the name, I think that's pretty important data when you're trying to make a company, get potential customer feedback and change to reflect it. No need to yell at people for answering the question he asked.

What's with the negativity in here? Jeez.... HBT is supposed to be a supportive community people. Did a shipment of pissed in wheaties come in from China or something?

Lay off!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

If you don't have something to contribute positively, in this or any other thread, just don't say anything. Why is that so hard???

Crystalcabot is obviously try hard, is not a spammer, is kind, asks good questions, and is working toward a dream. Don't get on his balls. I can't believe I am scolding for the second time in one thread. Don't be a dick!

Second scalding was for another relevant comment about brewing professionally. I was just trying to offer helpful advice to stick to the basics before opening a brewery based on some of the OP's previous posts such as "How do I read a Hydrometer".
A I stated in my Original post, there is nothing Negative or offensive about being a beginner, everyone has to start at the beginning. I am still very much a beginner myself as I stated before.

I Like you Kabouter and value your input on this forum and put respect and trust into your posts. I'm not trying to ruffle any feather in this community.

I apologize to the OP if I came off as offensive or down putting, but not for what I said.. It was not my intention, but I won't have my posts turned against me to make me look like I'm attacking anyone. I value my reputation on this forum that I believe is that of a nice guy.

Ok, I'll stop cluttering your thread with nonsense.
If you want any asistance with labels just ask, I'm decent with Gimp and have made quite a few labels for my own beers.

Back