1 gallon batch of Ed Wort's Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
Well if my math is right, I should use 6.4 ounces of dextrose for a 1 gallon batch. And about a little less then half of the Montrachet yeast. Does this sound about right?

I just want to try a gallon batch to see if I like it. From what I have read, I think I will like it.

Yes that amount of sugar should do it. I would just throw the whole packet of yeast in unless you have another use for the other half now.

A gallon is going to go fast!

Yes that amount of sugar should do it. I would just throw the whole packet of yeast in unless you have another use for the other half now.

A gallon is going to go fast!

Thanks! Hmmmm, since everyone says it is so good, I just might have to make 2 gallons to get me primed for a 5 gallon batch.

Yep, 0.4lb or 6.4 oz, which is right around a cup if you dont have a scale. I split a packet of dry yeast between two gallons and it worked great.

When I made my first two batches of apfelwein, I split a pound of dextrose (by eye) between the two. I figured 2 lbs per 5 gallon, that's 2/5 lb per gallon, so 40% of a pound. 1/2 lb would be 50%, not too much difference there. It didn't hurt. :)

My notes say the gravities were 1.063 and 1.070. I split a packet of yeast between them. Go for it, you'll love the stuff. I'm bottling 10 gallons of it today, in fact.

Where can I find dextrose/corn sugar? I am assuming it is dry and not the liquid corn syrup.

Just hit up a lot of grocery stores until I find it?

Do most of you guys bottle and carb your apfelwein? Curious to know what you do with it once it is done fermenting.

I think most of the people here keg it and carb it but I bottle mine using a thawed can of applejuice concentrate for priming sugar.

Alright so I just went out and bough (6) 3L Deer Park water bottles for my Apfelwein (Now made of #1 plastic). Cheaper than buying another better bottle or those 1 gallon glass jugs, and alot easier to store. Brew store was closed so I'll have to wait a few days to start it up.

I am excited to get it started though.

Latest posts

Back