My Picobrew Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed the pale ale kit that came with mine and during the mash the water level came really close (less than a 1/8" or so) to the top of the grain bin. Did I add too much water at the start or is this normal? Is there an overflow protection of some kind so I don't have to worry about this each time I brew? Doing a milk stout this weekend and would hate to miss calculate the water with this brew or any other and end up with a flood

Brewed the pale ale kit that came with mine and during the mash the water level came really close (less than a 1/8" or so) to the top of the grain bin. Did I add too much water at the start or is this normal? Is there an overflow protection of some kind so I don't have to worry about this each time I brew? Doing a milk stout this weekend and would hate to miss calculate the water with this brew or any other and end up with a flood

That's normal.

I've done 4G of water without overflow. I don't believe there is overflow protection - I think that the inflow pump matches the outflow pump. BUT - if your crush is too fine, meaning the water doesn't drain as one would expect with gravity (think stuck mash) then you're liable to get overflow.

So yeah.

Think I'll be doing another golden strong ale this weekend to pitch on the yeast from the last one.

they said custom recipe are going to be possible with this version. Updates come soon

According to Kickstarter Like custom sneakers in other words you start with a base and order the packet online not like you go to your local home brew shop and pick up grains, hops and yeast. I am not there market they are seeking the non home brewer market kinda like coffee packets. They may be on to something it's just not for me

According to Kickstarter Like custom sneakers in other words you start with a base and order the packet online not like you go to your local home brew shop and pick up grains, hops and yeast. I am not there market they are seeking the non home brewer market kinda like coffee packets. They may be on to something it's just not for me

Yeah, I love the idea and the size... but I need to be able to create my own recipes. That is where I have the most fun...still at the starter price it is very tempting just to brew some of the beers they will have available as kits from some very good breweries... plus Annie's recipes...

I wish the price of the Zymatic would come down a few hundred dollars. I'd prefer it over the Grainfather and Braumeister.... as both of those need you to manually sparge.. its the time saving of the Zymatic that I really want. I enjoy brewing but I just don't have enough time often enough to brew with my current BIAB setup.

I was a couple of hours from ordering the Zymatic when I visited my local brew shop and saw the grainfather they talked me into it. It's near perfect for automated brewing. The sparge takes 10 minutes. The Zymatic had me hesitant because of the price and the fact that you can only brew 3 gallons. Glad I went grainfather it's a little more work but does a great job.

Yeah, I love the idea and the size... but I need to be able to create my own recipes. That is where I have the most fun...still at the starter price it is very tempting just to brew some of the beers they will have available as kits from some very good breweries... plus Annie's recipes...

I wish the price of the Zymatic would come down a few hundred dollars. I'd prefer it over the Grainfather and Braumeister.... as both of those need you to manually sparge.. its the time saving of the Zymatic that I really want. I enjoy brewing but I just don't have enough time often enough to brew with my current BIAB setup.

@bford Your wish is granted, they have released some picobrew refurbished machines with full warranty/all accessories on the Kickstarter page for the little Pico. $1299 + shipping. Once people saw them further down the page, they began buying them up, but they have released more a few times. States these are media testers and demo machines.

I haven't been keeping up so well, but I didn't do a whole heck of alot of brewing over the summer. Too much company and beach time. Too little interest in fighting with my plate chiller and chilling. I'm getting back into it - trying to swing ~3 gallon batches to fill my stubby pin lock kegs.

Three and a half weeks ago I did a Pliny the Elder clone and a another Mosaic SMaSH- I fermented them at 68F constant for a week, and then transferred them to secondary. The basement/garage has been ~60-65F so thats a secondary temp. I need to get dry hops in there.

Two weekends ago, I had the weekend "off" (aka my GF went away and I was on dog duty) - knowing that was coming up, I stepped up two revival starters that I had made more than two months before hand with 2x WLP 545 (Belgian Strong Ale) and 2X WLP 570 (Golden Strong Ale).

Brewed a Leffe Radieuse and a Duvel Clone.

Fermented up from 69F to 78F and ramped back down to 72F. Both beers came down to 1.005 FG. Racked to secondary today and the Radieuse tasted great, the Golden Strong Ale was pretty good too!

Have to say, I was always scared of messing something up with Belgians before. I'm very happy with these so far!

vZgsnke.jpg

@bford Your wish is granted, they have released some picobrew refurbished machines with full warranty/all accessories on the Kickstarter page for the little Pico. $1299 + shipping. Once people saw them further down the page, they began buying them up, but they have released more a few times. States these are media testers and demo machines.

Total of 3 left.

Thanks for the warning! I didn't quite catch it until today.

I'll keep watching and maybe they'll offer it again in the future. If I don't buy a Grainfather first that would be a great deal.

6 more refurb zymatics available on the Pico Kickstarter page for $1299. If you miss, keep checking back; they have released additional units 3 separate times now after they have been 'sold out'.

Thanks for the warning! I didn't quite catch it until today.

I'll keep watching and maybe they'll offer it again in the future. If I don't buy a Grainfather first that would be a great deal.

6 more refurb zymatics available on the Pico Kickstarter page for $1299. If you miss, keep checking back; they have released additional units 3 separate times now after they have been 'sold out'.

Ordered one of the refurbished Zymatics a couple days ago. Glad I noticed that option on the Kickstarter before they were all gone. My wife was okay with it at the 1299 price but would not have been happy at full retail.

I cannot wait for it to come in.

So - its been way too long. I had a bit of a lull due to a cracked step filter (which PB replaced) - then when I went back to use the machine it wasn't cooperating. I kept getting fatal error #1 everytime I tried to brew. This error means that the heat exchange (HEX) loop temperature is running away from the wort temperature - that is, heat is not getting effectively exchanged to the wort. There are a lot of good reasons why this could happen, which mostly have to do with pumps not moving the wort fast enough, or air in the wort dropping the heat transfer rate.

I tried all of their trouble shooting methods, and even ran pump flow tests - no luck. Opened up a ticket and tried to launch a few brews - I was basically trying to start brews or cleaning cycles 5+ times before they would take. It was super frustrating. Then support told me that they had it figured out - there was an air bubble in the HEX loop, which, as would happen if there were air in the wort loop, meant that heat wasn't getting transferred out. The rational was that the air would get distributed after the loop had been running for a while (the HEX pump turns on when the machine turns on) and I would get normal heat transfer, allowing me to brew after my 5+ tries. I was warned that everytime that I brewed, the air leak into the HEX loop was probably getting worse.

It took me about a month to get my machine back, because I sat on the shipping label for a week, and then shipped it out right before Christmas - so there was a back log of work they had to get done. I queried whether this was a common failure and they said that it had happened to a few machines that were built around the same time as mine and that it shouldn't be an issue in the future after mine was repaired. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, I got the machine back on Wednesday and I'm taking today off since I worked over the weekend. I'm brewing a grapefruit IPA that I intended to brew in early December (not seasonally appropriate, except for the fact that grapefruits are harvested in the fall) - instead I ended up freezing my grains and hops that I had setup for that brew. The temp is climbing for mash-in right now!

Never posted about my last batch - tried a Grapefruit IPA.

I did get a fatal error #1 after the mash... was a little disappointed after getting it back from repair, but the basement was cold, so I attributed it to that. Emailed Picobrew, they agreed. Also first time using my new step filter - had a leak, couldn't tell if it was not level or if it leaked from the plugs.

Didn't check the OG. Fermented this in the living room - ~68F ambient. Didn't track the temp during fermentation. Added dry hops tonight. Should probably take a hydro sample and see if I pick up any grapefruit character before I bottle or keg.

yDXsVZM.png

I just did brewed another batch of my Leffe Brun/Radieuse clone (first one is great, undercarbed though.) Spent about a half an hour last night setting it up and had my GF push the button when she was home mid-day today - got it cooling around 6 tonight (filled a 30 gallon trash can with the last of a snowbank yesterday) and was all cleaned up by 7:30 or so. Thinking I over pitched for sure, but the yeast was left over from a starter I made a while back before my step filter cracked.

Lost some volume - need to grab my level out of storage this weekend to see if the pico is level - otherwise do a better job seating those plugs. When I say some volume, I don't really know how much. A lot? OG still came in a little low after the loss and adding the Candy syrup and sugar.

FSJgG0M.png

eSJ6k4A.png

Hoping to built a platform to get 3 kegs and taps inside my fridge this weekend - thinking an L bracket with the taps on the upright and my 20# CO2 tank and the kegs holding it down. I have some Perlicks, some cheap taps, and some European faucets - so hopefully at least the Perlicks won't stick! Looking forward to having beer on tap.

Tech support told me to use keg lube around the seals and it's worked like a charm so far. I just dab a little on my finger and reinstall them again and so far all leaking has stopped. What's the name of that clone I would like to brew something like that after I do a Bavarian Hefeweizens next

Tech support told me to use keg lube around the seals and it's worked like a charm so far. I just dab a little on my finger and reinstall them again and so far all leaking has stopped. What's the name of that clone I would like to brew something like that after I do a Bavarian Hefeweizens next

Good advice - I'll give it a shot next brew. Probably going to be this weekend!

Its a variation of the Leffe Radieuse clone here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=290380 I scaled that down for my first round and fermented with WLP545 instead of Wyeast 1388. I ran out of Belgian Munich for the second batch, so I scaled up the other specialty grains.

Supposedly its much better when aged (this is about 4 months old at this point) and I believe them, but I'm miffed that I didn't properly carb the beer, so I'll probably work my way through this batch. If you want either version, let me know and I'll publish them.

Here's a shot of my first batch:

NWQOLtR.png

I'll for sure brew that in the next couple batches and thanks for the recipe. I have only had the Leffe blond and dark since I can't find that kind so this will be something new and I have no idea what to expect

Great thread and clearly describes that you in fact still a home Brewer. (Such a silly argument against actually).
Your description of the mechanical airlock points out the only drawback I see with this type of system. (Doesn't mean I won't get one!) Unlike a typical system with a bad pump or bad heating element there are things out of your knowledge that can go wrong. Kind of like new cars vs old cars.
Again thanks for sharing your experience with us. I think I will be joining you sooner than later.

Tech support told me to use keg lube around the seals and it's worked like a charm so far. I just dab a little on my finger and reinstall them again and so far all leaking has stopped.

Worth re-quoting, worked perfectly for me.

Ran a pale ale Sunday- single step infusion with 7lbs of grain and over 4 gallons if water. No leaks, but I still don't know what my final volume was aside from my target of 3 gallons. OG of 1.054, which exceeded their estimate by 3 points. Chilled in my snow/water bucket without issue.

I've taken inventory of my specialty grains and made a list of my next few batches. Might try and jam out a stout and possibly my first lager, this weekend which would require a run to the LHBS, but aside from that I'll be alternating Belgians and PAs/IPAs - a batch for aging, a batch for the pipeline, if you will.

Great thread and clearly describes that you in fact still a home Brewer. (Such a silly argument against actually).
Your description of the mechanical airlock points out the only drawback I see with this type of system. (Doesn't mean I won't get one!) Unlike a typical system with a bad pump or bad heating element there are things out of your knowledge that can go wrong. Kind of like new cars vs old cars.
Again thanks for sharing your experience with us. I think I will be joining you sooner than later.

Thanks Anyhowe!

This thread has served me well. I wouldn't say I'm fully accountable, but it certainally helps!

Thanks for the clarification. This helps quite a bit!

The issue I ran into was that the Pico cleaning tabs worked okay -- but when I used PBW it did, indeed, strip all the gunk out of the machine that the cleaning tabs failed to remove.

So is the takeaway here that PBW is a last resort? Only if you have -- or think you have -- pump/water flow issues?
Has this issue been addressed yet other than don't use it? Obviously it works far better than the tabs provided. It's either clean or it is not.
Are there any internal parts of plastic etc that can be damaged or just the filter? If it is just the step filter then I wonder what it would take to make this out of stainless?

Has this issue been addressed yet other than don't use it? Obviously it works far better than the tabs provided. It's either clean or it is not.
Are there any internal parts of plastic etc that can be damaged or just the filter? If it is just the step filter then I wonder what it would take to make this out of stainless?

I do not think it's been addressed other than not to use PBW. I can't imagine that the hop baskets would have any issues with PBW...it would be really interesting if someone priced out a SS step filter. I'd buy one for sure...well, if the weren't too expensive relative to the machine cost.

Baja - what exactly needs lube here? The little plugs in the step filter? Is the idea that they tend to come out? Sorry to be dense.

Yup, the little black plugs in the revised step filter. Not so much that they come out, but rather that they don't go in properly/completely.

Hey Baja what mill spacing have you found works best for the zymatic? Is it possible to get this stuck?

I've been using whatever my cereal crusher is set to, I'll check when I get home. It is possible to get it stuck but that hasn't happened to me yet. What I'm most worried about though is getting the pass through holes from the mash to hop and hop to machine compartments clogged. Shouldn't happen with the screens, but ... Stuff happens.

Edit: My mill is set to a ~0.040 gap - I don't have feeler gauges so I can't check for sure. But its at about 1 o'clock where .050 is noon and .025 3 o'clock.

On the FB site people mentioned the idea of needing to secure the hop cages using the rubber gaskets so they don't open. Has anyone had this issue? Not me - and I have never used them...

On the FB site people mentioned the idea of needing to secure the hop cages using the rubber gaskets so they don't open. Has anyone had this issue? Not me - and I have never used them...

The lids on my hop cages fit fairly snugly. I can't imagine they would ever come off or need any extra gasket to hold them in place. I wonder if that's on the early release units.

Also, I'm just going to throw this out there even though it has nothing to do with the current topic. On the Picobrew site forum there is a long thread about efficiencies. I wonder if it has less to do with grain crush and more to do with ph and water amendments? I've hit or exceeded my O.G. Every time so far whether it be single infusion or step mash. I start off with RO water and adjust ph (in the brewing keg) and add calcium sulfate and calcium chloride directly to the grains.

Wonder if there has been a design change since the pre-order Z's- mine press fit in place with no concerns about them coming off - I can even pick one up full of wet hops by the lid without it separating from the base.

Thanks for the clarification. This helps quite a bit!

The issue I ran into was that the Pico cleaning tabs worked okay -- but when I used PBW it did, indeed, strip all the gunk out of the machine that the cleaning tabs failed to remove.

So is the takeaway here that PBW is a last resort? Only if you have -- or think you have -- pump/water flow issues?

Current knowledge seems to be to run a citric acid cleaning cycle after doing the cleaning tab cycle. The citric acid does seem to knock a lot more stuff loose from the machine.
Stolen from the Facetube group:
It's 2 tbsp. citric acid in the filter for a clean cycle AFTER the regular clean cycle.

My hop cage lids are tight also (10 brews so far). I suspect the issue is that the fit gets sloppier after extended use. I plan to keep an eye on that and start using the bands if an issue arises.

Hey zymatic folks. Is it a good idea to serve out of 2.5 gallon kegs? Or do I need more room. Thx

I have only a couple of 2.5 gallon kegs in my rotation. They work well for 2.5 gallon batches. Saves CO2, for one thing. I'll be picking up some more.

I'd say the same thing. No need for more headspace than you have beer, first of all. Otherwise you're just using a ton of CO2 to purge the keg (you are purging, aren't you?!) I picked up/rebuilt 10 3-gallon pinlocks and converted them to ball-lock. I still don't have the fully sorted out (its on the to do list for tomorrow, actually) but its nice to have smaller kegs for secondary/aging/serving.

Back