20% crystal 20% flaked oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
I'm trying to formulate a recipe for an oatmeal pale ale. Basically a sweet oatmeal stout that has been de-stouted.

7.25lbs pale malt 60%
2.5lbs flaked oats 20%
2.5lbs crystal 10 20 %

Im looking for sweet and thick. The free beer tools don't account for crystal the way they should, and I can't find a definitive answer as to whether or not flaked oats will convert fully if the malt has enough diastic power to handle them.

This recipe should give me about a 1.06 starting gravity, but I have no idea where it will finish.

Besides "OMG that's going to be sickingly sweet", I'll gladly take any advice.

It'll be sweet, but not sweet and thick as much as thick and oily. Oats leave an oily finish, which is perceived as creamy in smaller amounts. But it will feel "slick", cloying, and sweet with 20% oats and 20% crystal.

Cut the oats and add maltodextrine (lactose intollerant) to increase the thickness?

I've seen figures saying that crystal still has about 66% fermentable sugar. I think the oats should convert given the ratio to pale but I've never used that much of an adjunct. Can you get some 6-row?

Really?!?!

I can... But was actually planning to use either Munich or Maris Otter:cross:
I'm not saying to go all 6-row. Short of doing calculations just throwing a percentage would be good insurance. Especially if you go Munich. Just going from memory it barely converts its self.

Back