First ever harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerloaf

Reaction score
I managed to pick 13 oz of Chinook this morning and still have probably half of that on the plant that wasn't ready yet.
29l0fhd.jpg

Now drying in a spare room
289k3l1.jpg

I managed to pick 13 oz of Chinook this morning and still have probably half of that on the plant that wasn't ready yet.
29l0fhd.jpg

Now drying in a spare room
289k3l1.jpg

That's all from one plant? How tall was it? How many seasons...

This is my first year, and I've got one plant that's about 10' tall (magnum) and it has about 15-20 hops growing on the top third of it... I didn't plant till late june and I'm at 4k' altitude...

My willamette is starting to take off.. about 5'.. the other magnum is about 4'.. the cascades started slow but are starting to grow at about 4" a day (now at about 3'), and the centennials.. well one didn't make it, and the other is still just kinda wimpy and growing along the bottom of the bed.. but so far, only the big magnum is bearing fruit.. I have no idea what to expect this year or next (except that I should buy at least one more centennial).. so if all that is off of one plant, I'm getting excited..

Yes that is from one plant. I only picked about 2/3 of it. The rest I will pick next week. 1st year and it got to about 23 feet tall. I also harvested some of the Centennial next to it which is around 15 ft. I got a much smaller yield from that, 1.5 oz, however I still have half on the bine. I'm hoping to harvest some Cascade, EKG and some Mt Hood soon. I might even get a few cones of Hallertau. The Northern Brewer still haven't even flowered so I gave up on that one. Some of these plants did really well for 1st years and others not as much, but at least all will have a decent root system for next year. Best of luck with yours.

beerloaf

That's all from one plant? How tall was it? How many seasons...

This is my first year, and I've got one plant that's about 10' tall (magnum) and it has about 15-20 hops growing on the top third of it... I didn't plant till late june and I'm at 4k' altitude...

My willamette is starting to take off.. about 5'.. the other magnum is about 4'.. the cascades started slow but are starting to grow at about 4" a day (now at about 3'), and the centennials.. well one didn't make it, and the other is still just kinda wimpy and growing along the bottom of the bed.. but so far, only the big magnum is bearing fruit.. I have no idea what to expect this year or next (except that I should buy at least one more centennial).. so if all that is off of one plant, I'm getting excited..

The 10' magnum sounds about right for late June planting. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 20'(or however tall your trellis is) by the end of May next year. That's basically what my centennials have done in their first 2 years.

I also have a wimpy cascade that grew ~10' the first year with some sort of nutrient or disease issue. It came back this year. Still had the issue with tiny, yellowing leaves, but managed to make it to the top of my 18' trellis with a bunch of cones.

Yes I sure have. I didn't want to wash my hands because they smelled so good! Very strong defined odor and also noticed that the Centennials that I picked afterwards had even a stronger odor. My whole house smells like hops right now from the drying.

beerloaf

The 10' magnum sounds about right for late June planting. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 20'(or however tall your trellis is) by the end of May next year. That's basically what my centennials have done in their first 2 years.

I also have a wimpy cascade that grew ~10' the first year with some sort of nutrient or disease issue. It came back this year. Still had the issue with tiny, yellowing leaves, but managed to make it to the top of my 18' trellis with a bunch of cones.

Thanks man.. I think leaving them in my fridge for over 2 months probably hurt their chances to get a good start... especially as they were 'frosted' when I pulled them out...... Hoping next year they rock.. They should, they're in some awesome mix...

I didn't cut any of the extra bines off, so that they could build up a good crown.. So each of them has anywhere from 5-12 bines growing off of them... Hoping that pays off down the road..

I've heard that first year hops are very low AA.. Is this true?

I harvested the Chinook again the night before Irene and got another 5 oz of hops. I have a total of 5.4 oz of dry hops put away so far, which I didn't think was bad for a 1st year plant. I have them in freezer bags and sealed them with a food saver. I have them in the fridge but plan to freeze them.

beerloaf

I too had my first harvest. I filled a gallon bowl totally to the brim yesterday...only picking about 1/3 of what I have. My vine is only about 10' tall but it sprawled WAY out...maybe 20' or so. It got massive...actually I am happy my cascade didnt take off this year. It would have had no room to grow.

Im going to start another thread about my drying experience I had last night....

Not washing your hands is great until you accidentally put your finger in your mouth...

I got roughly 20 gallons of hops form my 4 yo Cascades this year. I added a second post and now have 6 runs. I think it will come out to about 5 lbs.

Latest posts

Back