are coopers suger drops sanitary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarrsipius

Reaction score
So I'm changing over from bottling to kegging but I know occasionally I'll want to bottle a few from some batches. The LHS suggested using the coopers drops for carbing the bottles and i got some but I realized that I'll be putting them in each bottle with no sanitization. Won't they contaminate the beer?

So I'm changing over from bottling to kegging but I know occasionally I'll want to bottle a few from some batches. The LHS suggested using the coopers drops for carbing the bottles and i got some but I realized that I'll be putting them in each bottle with no sanitization. Won't they contaminate the beer?

Nope.. Perfectly safe.. Carb away...:mug:

The Coopers tabs have plenty of bad press out there, but none of it comes from infection. As Groos said, carb away.

I think you're mixing products.

Munton's TABS can leave some residual floating chunks in the bottle that some have complained about, but they have the advantage of being able to set specific carbonation levels. I like them for bottling low carbonation beers like milds, etc.

Cooper's DROPS are simply pre-sized chunks of sucrose / glucose. No floaties but they only come pre-sized for 12oz bottles. I've used them for several years to carbonate the balance of my batches after filling Tap-a-Draft bottles.

Either is clearly more expensive than fixing up your own priming solution, but they definitely are convenient and save time as you can bottle straight from the fermenter and not mess with a bottling bucket. As others have confirmed, no risk of infection as long as your hands are clean and dry.

And just to be more accurate: Cooper's Carbonation Drops are made from 27% glucose and 73% dextrose in each tablet.

Then you've got a different product than I do. I'm looking at the package right now: Cooper's Carbonation Drops. Packed on 4 MAR 09. Ingredients: Sugar (sucrose), Glucose.

Ahh, I see. You got those numbers from Midwest's site. Sometimes, google is NOT your friend. :)

Thanks for the info. I will carb with confidence. I'm not so worried about cost because I don't plan to bottle more than 12 from any given batch so i'm more interested in convenience than cost.

thanks again

Latest posts

Back