Dry hopping for ESB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopmeamadeus

Reaction score
Hey folks:

I've just finished brewing an ESB:

Steep 1# 60L crystal at 160 for 30 minutes
6.6# munton's light syrup
1oz Wilamette for 60min
1/2 oz Wilamette for 30
1/2 oz Wilamette for 15 (flavor)
1/2 oz Fuggles for 15 (flavor)
1/2 oz Fuggles for 2 minutes (aroma)

Good fermentation started about 6 hours after racking to primary. I'm wondering people's opinions on dry hopping with Fuggles or EKG in the secondary? I'm just not sure if this would add too much hop character for the ESB style. If so, for how long?

Be kind to a new member :mug:

I don't think .5-1 oz EK Gold or Fuggles will push it out of style and if it does who cares? Hops are good.

When I dry hop I like to wait until there is no activity in the secondary, usually about 3 days after racking from the primary I'll add the hops and then bottle 10-14 days later. (or longer for bigger beers)

You weren't too heavy with the hops in the boil, so I'm guessing it would stay in style, but heck, if you like hops, why worry too much about if it's in style or not. If it feels good do it!

As I type I am drinking flat ESB that I have just bottled. I had to change a couple of things in the recipe due to an oversight, but hey, it's still ESB as far as I'm concerned! :D

Edit: oops! I missed the oz of willamette at the top of the list. maybe it won't be that far in style if you dry hop too, but what the heck! ;)

Thanks guys. When you dry hop in secondary, do you typically use a bigger carboy? In the past I've used a 5 gallon with very little head space. From what I've read, it looks like the hop addition might foam up a bit. I'd hate to blow the airlock :(

Thanks guys. When you dry hop in secondary, do you typically use a bigger carboy? In the past I've used a 5 gallon with very little head space. From what I've read, it looks like the hop addition might foam up a bit. I'd hate to blow the airlock :(

No the only thing to worry about is if you use a lot of whole hops without enough head space and the hops will end up in the neck of the carboy. But with 1 oz this isn't a problem, in a 5 gallon carboy there should be plenty of head space with 5 gallons of beer in it.

I would never dry hop an ESB. The style is about the bittering and malt, not hop aroma and flavor.

David,

Respectfully, um, what? ESB always exhibits hops flavor and aroma.

BJCP:

Hop aroma moderately-high to moderately-low, and can use any variety of hops although UK hops are most traditional. Hop flavor moderate to moderately high (any variety, although earthy, resiny, and/or floral UK hops are most traditional).

AHA:

Extra special bitter possesses medium to strong hop aroma, flavor, and bitterness.

Looking through the benchmarks listed by BJCP, I can't find an example that is not dry-hopped. All of my favorites certainly are, including my own recipe. Do what you want, David, with your beer, because it's yours. But kindly refrain from disseminating misleading information.

OP, try an ounce of Goldings in the secondary for a week. Goldings and Fuggles are the classic Bitter hops varieties, and either will give you that classic English note.

Cheers,

Bob

We have a few BJCP Judges here...What Say Ye?
I've got 2 ESB beers that I've been thinking of giving an oz of EKG hops in secondary....I might find a competition for them if they meet expectations....otherwise, I'd not care...I like HOPS

I do think of ESBs as being generally somewhat restrained in the late hop additions; more hopping than ordinary bitters, but less than an English Pale Ale. The focus on an ESB really should be about balance, which is what makes them such great beers. I'd argue that either some late hop additions or a little dry hopping would be fine, there should be some hop character but it should not be dominant. If you're going to dry hop, don't have a crapton of late hop additions.

In the most recent issue of Zymurgy there is an article about brewing ESB written by John Keeling the head brewer at Fullers. He says they use Kent Goldings hops in the fermenter, in maturation, and in the cask. So, if you are looking to compare yours to Fullers (the definitive ESB), then I would say dry hopping would be just fine.

I just dry hopped my ESB with 1 oz. of Goldings. I couldn't care less about BJCP guidelines considering I've never entered a brew into a competition, I just dig hops. I say go for it.

I just dry hopped my ESB with 1 oz. of Goldings. I couldn't care less about BJCP guidelines considering I've never entered a brew into a competition, I just dig hops. I say go for it.

Personally, I woulda fuggled that sucker......But yeah, I agree with you. :)

i'm not going to get into the middle of whether or not dry hopping is to style, but i will argue against the dry hopping because you're a rookie and this is obviously a kit recipe. why not follow it to the letter and see hot it turns out. any time i follow someone else's recipe the first time i try my best to not alter it. $0.02

a little late just did 3b extract esb and left the goldings 2oz and 1 oz pellets it the fermentation bucket will this be an issue, i think not.

I do think of ESBs as being generally somewhat restrained in the late hop additions; more hopping than ordinary bitters, but less than an English Pale Ale.

I've always been under the impression that English Pale Ale = bottled form of ESB???

I have only made three brews so far but after discussing with a few friends I think that most people just dry hop with whatever they use for the aroma hops. I don't thonk one can go wrong with that method

I've always been under the impression that English Pale Ale = bottled form of ESB???

That's rather ticklish. I think it's as fictitious as Brown Ale being the bottled version of Mild. Which is bollocks. :D

See, ESB is, like Steam Beer, a protected name in its country of origin. Fuller's is not only the definitive ESB, it's the only beer in UK with ESB on the label, on account of trademark. So what you say can't possibly be true, at least historically. Now, spelling out Extra Special Bitter is permitted, but that still doesn't mean that the package has any bearing on what's in the package is called.

Moreover, in places where the name is not protected by trademark, like USA, breweries don't confuse the consumer by calling the same beer Pale Ale or ESB whether it's in bottle or on draught. At least, they don't if they're not utterly brain dead. Consumers are fickle as well as rather like sheep. You have to keep things simple, give them a shiny great sign, or they get confused. Yes, even quality beer aficionados. ;)

Further, all ESB is English Pale Ale, but not all English Pale Ale is ESB. There's Bitter (Ordinary, Special & Extra Special), Pale Ale, and Fuller's ESB.

Finally, Pale Ale as a reference or adjective came first, before any of the style names. In the mid to late 18th Century, coke became the fuel of choice for British maltsters. This permitted lighter malts to be malted, malts which were significantly paler than the brown and amber malts theretofore produced. Beers produced from this new pale malt were noticeably lighter in color than previous beers. It wasn't long before brewers were touting the excellence of their pale ales in advertising.

The new pale ales were also quite bitter, at least in comparison with the other ales of that time, like Porter, Mild and Stock ale.* By the mid-19th century, the terms 'pale ale' and 'bitter' were used interchangeably by the drinking public. There was a trend in the late 20th century to call cask, draught beer Bitter and the same beer in the bottle Pale Ale, but that has since receded to calling both packages Bitter. This phenomenon was never, to the best of my knowledge, applied to Fuller's ESB, and had no effect in the USA's brewing community at all. In fact, the current trend in UK beer packaging indicates that the use of 'Pale Ale' is dropping off considerably. Sam Smith's, Bass - they still use the words 'Pale Ale' on their product, but those products are considerably different than the Bitter brewed by them.

Anyway, that's about it. Pale Ale does not = bottled ESB.

Cheers!

Bob

* Please keep in mind that the historical beers bear little to no resemblance to what we know today as Porter and Mild.

Back