A second take on a Belgian Pale. Which yeast to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
I'm planning to make an "un-accidental" Belgian pale ale, with all of the correct ingredients. The only difference will be a slightly higher IBU rating, or at least a more potent hop aroma. Other than that, I'm doing this the traditional way. Since there's a nice, diverse array of Belgian yeasts to consider, I wonder which of the following would be ideal:

Belgian Wheat Activator Wyeast 3942

Belgian Saison Activator Wyeast 3724

Given those choices, I want to make a beer that's unmistakably Belgian in regard to yeast characteristics (esters, spiciness, etc) but will also compliment a higher hopping rate, biscuit malts and the possibility of honey malt. Any suggestions are definitely welcome. :rockin:

It would really help to see the specific ingredients you're going to use before selecting the yeast. Also, as long as you're fermenting hot enough I doubt you'll have any problems getting the real Belgian character from any of those yeast.

Without the ingredients though and since you said you're making a regular Belgian Pale I would just go with the Strong Ale yeast. Start it out in the mid 60's and then get it up into the good old 70's to finish out the fermentation and get that wonderful Belgian smell. Or just start out from the beginning in the 70's if you're really worried about getting the right esters out of your yeast.

I suppose it would help to post what malts I'll be using!

Aromatic 17-21º L Castle (Belgium) 1 lb.

Glen Eagle’s Maris Otter (Crisp) 6 lb.

Biscuit Malt 18-27º L Castle (Belgium) 1/2 lb.

Honey Malt 20-25º L 3 Gambrinus (Canada) 1/2 lb.

Carafoam Weyermann® (Germany) 1/2 lb.

I'm debating adding another 1/2 pound of a particular specialty malt, but I may not if this is sufficient. In regard to the hops, I'm not sure on those. I may use my hop suey medley for bittering and a late addition of noble European hops for aroma and finishing.

Back