Grabbed the wrong grain... what should i expect? Belgain special B

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
so i wanted to do a dual brew day. already had one recipe ready to roll, however i wanted to grab another one because i pretty much had the apt all to myself all day and night.

So right after waking up, i went to the brew shop and just tossed together a 4.5lb recipe for a 3 gallon brew (i know the system i'm using will be right around 1.040 pre boil for 4.5lbs)

so i grabbed
2lb 2 row
2lb munich
.5lb of belgian biscuit... or so i thought... till i got home, crushed the grain and mashed, an hour later i open the top of the tun and i realized a mistake i made in my tired state.... i grabbed Belgian special-b which is right next to the biscuit.
had 2oz of centennial, so i kept the same hop bill and went with about 30ibus of centennial.

but instead of a toasuty/biscuity pale. i'm now stck with what i think is gonna be a lightly hopped low OG amber?

"147° L. An extremely dark caramel malt with a sharp, almost toffee like flavor. It will impart a heavy caramel taste and is often credited with the raisin-like flavors of some Belgian ales. "

You might like it.What can ya really do. It might be kinda arrogant bastardish but citrusy and lighter. It will definutly be different-it dosent sound terrible either(I think?) If its not so good at first try ageing it and see if you like it better. It kind of depends also what yeast you used. ?

well this is what they look like, as you can tell, the amber is on the right.

both were VERY successful btw.

this is 4 days out of primary, fermented fast and was ancy to test a sample as it's my first brew in prolly 4 months.

320927_10151166817786105_2037221640_n.jpg

Did you get any raisin flavor from the special b? I am brewing up a Baltic porter on friday and using that malt with some others. Hoping I get some of that raisin quality from it.

oh yes, it turned a basic pale (was i think 60% 2 row 35% munich and 5% special b) and turned what should have been a titch darker golden to that color and the flavor is VERY there but not over powering.

Awesome. I am brewing tomorrow and this is my first time with it. Last of my darker winter beers before I move on to spring fare.

Back