Need Schooling in "Modern" Car Stereo Stuff...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmb

"I just got a new pet toaster!"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm shopping for a head unit for my "new" project car and the last system I installed was more than 10 years ago. I'm sure things have changed and manufactures have shaken up.

School me on car stereo

Project car is an '88 Chrysler Fifth Avenue. 100k w/ 318 V-8, clean without rust.

$400 ..... :D

I have a Pioneer (Premier) USB port enabled head unit that will run MP3s off either a small stick, portable hard drive or Gen3+ Ipods. It's a little noisy but it's pretty sweet for $200.

Are there any gotchas to look out for when picking an USB enabled head? I'm thinking a rear port and cable with USB flash drive in the glove box. I'm pod-less... My iPod mini gave up the ghost and all the new ones (nano, touch) suck IMO.

How much are you wanting to spend? What do you want, lots of bass, just a nice radio, something you hook your iPod to, or something that just screams "I hate my neighbors" That would be a good starting place.

Just a decent head unit with USB for a flash drive and good AM reception to get the ballgame. I've done the 1500W amp with 2x10" subs back when I didn't care about my hearing.

Mostly, just what is available now, tech wise? I saw Clarion and Boss have head units without CD players... is that the way things are going now? I know I hardly listen to CDs anymore...

I bought an MP3 capable Kenwood stereo at a garage sale couple of years ago. $8. Works great, except it doesn't have SCAN? WHy can't they put freakin scan on every freaking radio?? I mean, does it make sense to have to push the seek button for every station? Scan has been around for at least two decades.

Oh well, it was only $8 and is much better than the factory radio that came in the Jeep.

Went with a Sony GT920U for $139 from Crutchfield

Rear USB to hide an USB key in the glovebox and it has fairly clean lines.

Sony_Xplod-thumb-450x158.jpg

Back