Hops bag options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IFMracin

Reaction score
Ok, here it is, my first nOob question.

I have a starter kit and ingredient kit coming from Midwest.
Last night I was looking though the instructions online for the ingredient kit and it mentions to use a nylon boiling bag for the hops.
Well, I didn't order one (not knowing that I needed one), what can be used for this that is available locally? Anyone have a good idea for me?

Thanks.

I have a bunch of muslin bags left from when I was doing PM's that I use for hop bags now.

+1 to the 5 gallon paint strainer bag. I just used one for my last brew, and it was the easiest brewday yet. At home depot I got 2 for 3$.

The 1 gallon paint strainers at lowes make for great single hop additions. You can toss in up to 2 ounces, then tie the end in a knot and toss in the kettle.

You get 2 for $1.98 so the pricing rocks!

Awesome.
Off to H.D I will go.

Thanks!

*edit*
Or maybe to Lowes! haha.

You could also buy some queen size pantyhose (nude). If you do, no, no one is looking at you :cross:

You could also buy some queen size pantyhose (nude). If you do, no, no one is looking at you :cross:

Why am I not surpirsed to get a response about pantyhose from someone with an avatar like that?

:cross:

I'm in the minority here, I guess, but I don't use hops bags. I just chuck them in the pot at the correct times. Leaf hops just float around and are strained out if I strain the cooled wort into the fermenter. Pellet hops just kind of disintegrate to the bottom.

I'm in the minority here, I guess, but I don't use hops bags. I just chuck them in the pot at the correct times. Leaf hops just float around and are strained out if I strain the cooled wort into the fermenter. Pellet hops just kind of disintegrate to the bottom.

I've done both and don't see any added benefit from the hop bags. Yes, they cut down on the mess when moving the cooled wort to the primary. But those nylon bags are really at PITA to clean. You're just moving the mess from one place to another.

I guess I wasn't sure if they were a necessity or not.
With not having received my kit yet I have not actually seen what the brew-ready hops look like, is it something that can be strained out easily?

Heck, I'll still probably get a couple bags just to have on hand.

They're easy to strain if you have a big strainer. They can also go right into your primary and they'll settle to the bottom eventually. Whatever way you go, there's no way to avoid the mess factor.

Does it look like I picked up the right thing?
Got it at Lowes. < $2

img009.jpg

I know that some of you guys use the crazy bad a$$ 5 gallon strainer with the PVC collar and all-threads.

Do you use a new bag every time or clean them out? If you clean them how? Maybe just a hose from the other direction?

Mike

The ones that use the PVC collar use a clamp. While I don't have one of those, I would imagine you would unclamp it and just wash it out with water. I use a small nylon bag with a drawstring. I wash mine with water to get all the hop residue out and used a little bit of soap as it will be sitting a while. I then rinsed A LOT. It will be in the boiling wort so I doubt that it matters all that much.

I'm not really worried about infection because of the boiling. I'm worried about putting flavors into my beer that I don't want.

Mike

I'm not really worried about infection because of the boiling. I'm worried about putting flavors into my beer that I don't want.

Mike

If you are just using it for boiling hops in your wort, I think you will be fine. It is being used for the same thing each time and that means that even after washing it if there is still smells or tastes I guess of hops (mine is just stained, no smells) it really shouldn't make a difference.

For cleaning the bags out, I might be crazy, but right after the brewing, i shake the majority of the hops out, and then I sit them somewhere to completely dry out over night. The next day, I just rub it together and the hops just crumble away. And then I just rinse sanitize and put in a ziplock bag till next time.

I know that some of you guys use the crazy bad a$$ 5 gallon strainer with the PVC collar and all-threads.

Do you use a new bag every time or clean them out? If you clean them how? Maybe just a hose from the other direction?

I get about 4-6 batches out of each bag, eventually they develop small leaks.

After the boil, I just pull the bag and let the contents cool. The hop sludge congeals into one big clump, so I just invert it and 95% of the contents falls out into my composter. (Joining the spent grains that are already in there!) From there, it just needs a quick rinse in the sink.

I've done both and don't see any added benefit from the hop bags. Yes, they cut down on the mess when moving the cooled wort to the primary. But those nylon bags are really at PITA to clean. You're just moving the mess from one place to another.

I found the 5 gallon paint strainer bags easy to clean with just plain water and you can keep reusing them. The hops come out in a ball.

Why am I not surpirsed to get a response about pantyhose from someone with an avatar like that?

:cross:
Well, it was kinda funny the first time I bought them. Picture a 220 # guy standing at the pantyhose section of a grocery store with his 5 yr old daughter comparing things he's never purchased before. So I was looking for Queen sized nude colored hose and had kind of a hard time finding it. Maybe it didn't look as weird as I thought it was but I felt a stare from some old guy and his wife so it was slightly discomforting. I almost wanted to explain my self :eek:

I'm with Yoop on this one. For a first time brewer, my advice would be to keep it simple and not bother straining. I never strain, never have hops in the finished product. Other than the fear of clogged plumbing, I see no real reason to strain, especially for a noob brewing up batch no. 1.

Mike

Well, it was kinda funny the first time I bought them. Picture a 220 # guy standing at the pantyhose section of a grocery store with his 5 yr old daughter comparing things he's never purchased before. So I was looking for Queen sized nude colored hose and had kind of a hard time finding it. Maybe it didn't look as weird as I thought it was but I felt a stare from some old guy and his wife so it was slightly discomforting. I almost wanted to explain my self :eek:

I can picture that, and it's darn funny! :D

If you would have tried to explanin it to them it probably would have just made it worse!

I have no idea where this thread went. I was just surprised in it's length in such a short amount of time.

Maybe it didn't look as weird as I thought it was but I felt a stare from some old guy and his wife so it was slightly discomforting. I almost wanted to explain my self :eek:

I have known many a husband who gets a frantic call from their wife/girlfriend who just got a run from hell and has a big meeting/presentation/something and can't get out to a store. Old ball and chain dutifully runs to the store during lunch and goes through the same thing.
I'm the guy that walks in and yells out, "I need help, what the >>>> are nude nylons, and heavy flow pads? "
It is like Mosses parting the red sea, the manager is helping me in seconds and everyone gets out of the way. ( I hate lines ) :rockin:

Back