Apple of my Eye P A

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coeceo

Reaction score
Want to make Magic Hat #9 with apple instead of apricot.

Thinking maybe 3-4 lbs of applesauce into the primary?

This is the extract recipe for a clone previously posted:

1 lb, 13 oz. 2-Row Pale
3 oz. Crystal 60
1.75 lbs. Light Dried Malt Extract
3 AAU Warrior (30)
2.5 AAU Tettnang (30)
.25 oz. Cascade (0)
Wyeast 1335 or White Labs WLP002
3.3 lbs. Oregon Fruit Products Apricot Puree or 3 oz. apricot flavoring (add in secondary)

So I would just swap the apricot puree with applesauce.

Any thoughts on this?

I'm assuming its 5 gallons, again I just nabbed it from another thread (lost the link). I think some sugars are gained in the apricot puree, that may explain having less extract.

Im gonna take Yuri's suggestion and add applejuice also maybe I will need more extract. Whats a better grain/extract combination for a basic IPA? Any sugar from the apple juice will just be a bonus if it ferments.

The name is my favorite part...

PseudoChef said:
What is the batch size? It doesn't seem like you have that much grain/extract.
I was kinda thinking that myself.

EDIT:
With approx. 1 gallon of apple juice, I'm getting an OG of 1.038 for a 5 gallon batch. I'm really thinking this is a 3 gallon recipe, which will yield an OG of 1.054 with approx. 1/2 gallon of juice.

There's something missing, because the apricot puree's only going to add a very modest amount of fermentables. #9 is a small beer, but it's not that small!

I do like what you are trying to do here. It sounds very tasty. However, Magic Hat #9 is not an IPA. If you want to make an IPA find an IPA recipe and do as Yuri sugguested and add some apple jucie or cider to the primary in place of some of the water. Another sugguestion is find some naturally dried apple chips and rack on top of them. As well as dry hopping it. The next point would be to find a good hops that would go with apple.

Aclay said:
It sounds very tasty. However, Magic Hat #9 is not an IPA.
I don't think the OP wants to make an IPA:
coeceo said:
Want to make Magic Hat #9 with apple instead of apricot.

I think it's more "Apple-of-my-eye" PA, than "Apple of my Eye-P-A"

Anyway, #9 has an OG 0f 1.047, so that recipe can't be for anything more than 2 gallons, if that.

You guys are awesome at this.

#9 is more of an APA I guess. I think I'll go the IPA route and look for a good hop to compliment the apple or a good apple (granny smith maybe...) to compliment a hop.

Back