I just can't stop!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffro

Reaction score
I brewed my first ever batch of beer on Dec 28, 2007 and brewed my SEVENTH batch yesterday....

They are as follows.

#1 a brown ale
#2 a porter (which is almost gone now)
#3 an American Pale Ale which is just barely old enough to drink
#4 a STRONG dark wheat bottle conditioning right now
#5 an oatmeal stout that I bottled today
#6 a Pilsner which is in secondary now
#7 a porter because the first porter is almost gone.

Next weekend I'll be brewing Ed Worts Haus ale.... My first attempt at all grain.

I just spent almost $200 in the last week on brewing equipment including 2 more secondarys, a propane burner, a set of 4 stainless stock pots, and the stuff to make a wort chiller.

I got it BAD!!!!:mug:

I'm in the same boat, started first week of January and I've got six brews under my belt. Went from hobby to obsession in an instant.

PeteOz77 said:
And the only prescription? More Cowbell!

LOL!!

This guy makes me feel good. My wife asked me what we are doing tonight, and I answered, Making Beer? She didn't find it nearly as funny as I did. We just got back from an overnight trip to Traverse City, where we went to 2 brewpubs, and I bought a turkey fryer and looked at coolers and visited 2 brew supply stores (although TBH, GR has better supplies, than TC). Oh, and we also went to the mall and went swimming at the hotel, but I don't remember much about that stuff...

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the reason I feel better about myself is that I was worried about being a little obsessed with brewing. Now I know I'll never be as obsessed as the OP!

I hear ya!

This is so addicting and just as much fun.

I started brewing late January and have 3 batches done. I'll be doing 2 more this weekend and helping a buddy do his first brew with my equipment and just got done placing another order for about $150 worth of supplies.

I'm running short on bottles, so I may have to lay off a bit for about a month or two. That should give me enough time to create my own recipe and to order some more misc stuff up.. coughcoughchillercoughcough

Evan! said:
Man, I've only done 9 batches so far in '08...damn you, Bill...:D

Evan! - Get to work you lazy bastid! :D

To the OP - congrats on discovering the obsession! The money for new equipment thing never goes away. I always have a new brew toy that I want.

It sounds like you have a great start. You've brewed more than me this year too. I had 35 gallons in on 1/20 and haven't had a chance to brew since then.

I've been brewing for a year and a half and don't even have fifteen batches. :(

McKBrew said:
I've been brewing for a year and a half and don't even have fifteen batches. :(

Best get to work, then ;) . I brewed my first batch in July '06, and brewed #'s 63 & 64 this past Saturday...yes, I have a problem.
:drunk:

Jeffro
Think that you will be drinking this whole beer, then, maintain the lit barbecue grill, invite their best friends and commemorate with a great party..., in this rhythm many parties will happen!!
cheers.

Homercidal said:
Anyone here brew more than the law allows?? Anyone?

I'm on track to break it. I haven't missed a weekend yet without brewing a beer/wine/mead. I have some trips planned for later in the year that will prevent me from keeping this pace, so I'll probably come in at 199.9 gallons by years end...

I'm way behind schedule with only 3 on the year. I've really got to step it up or I run the risk of running low.

Craig

I've got the bug too. My 1st brew day was Jan. 10th, my 4th batch is currently in the primary & I already have the ingredients for batch #5.

I have 2 secondaries and am contemplating another primary. However, bottling sucks & currently is my bottleneck. I'm too new & scared to go all grain or get into kegging.

Here's what I've done since Jan. 10th:

Batch 1 (1/10): AHS Canadian Ale (all extract)
Batch 2 (2/2): AHS Texas Blonde Ale (PM)
Batch 3 (2/17): AHS Weizenbock (PM)
Batch 4 (3/1): AHS Texas Red Ale (PM)

Planning to do this guy's German Pilsner with Ale yeast for batch 5. Anyone else try this method for a Pils?

http://cruisenews.net/brewing/partial_mash/index.php

Soperbrew said:
I've got the bug too. My 1st brew day was Jan. 10th, my 4th batch is currently in the primary & I already have the ingredients for batch #5.

I have 2 secondaries and am contemplating another primary. However, bottling sucks & currently is my bottleneck. I'm too new & scared to go all grain or get into kegging.

Here's what I've done since Jan. 10th:

Batch 1 (1/10): AHS Canadian Ale (all extract)
Batch 2 (2/2): AHS Texas Blonde Ale (PM)
Batch 3 (2/17): AHS Weizenbock (PM)
Batch 4 (3/1): AHS Texas Red Ale (PM)

Planning to do this guy's German Pilsner with Ale yeast for batch 5. Anyone else try this method for a Pils?

http://cruisenews.net/brewing/partial_mash/index.php

made a quick jump to PM :mug: very cool. My first 3 were all extract, but this weekend will be my first PM from AHS (bell's two-hearted). Hopefully all goes well.

Not sure if the AHS "mini-mash" counts as PM, but that's how I noted it.

Is there a difference between a partial mash & what AHS calls a mini-mash?

I found the mini-mash not all that much more work than an all extract recipe. I did learn however to perform the mash/steep inside on the stove to maintain a more stable temp. Then I add the wort to my outside kettle, add the extract & enough water to the 6 gallon mark before boiling on a turkey fryer.

At first I was trying to do it all in the boil kettle outside but had many problems maintaining a stable 155F temp. I find if I do it indoors on the stove with a smaller pot & lid that I can follow their instructions to start at 160F, turn off the stove, steep, cover & let sit for 45 min. At the end of 45 min. my temp. is still 153F without having to turn the burner back on.

I believe myself and friends are getting into this...
We started about 3 weeks ago and already have 4 batches going. We have taken over my buddy Dan's house, pretty cool that his girlfriend is ok with it :)

We spent 200$ on the equipment to start. Each batch goes for like 25-30$.
Bought an outside burner and gas.

We have a Wheat going now
A Blueberry on its 2nd week
A Sam Adams Clone and Kolsch to come...

I would like to try a Brown Ale and Stout soon

I love brewing and hope to keep it going for the rest of my life :)

Soperbrew said:
Not sure if the AHS "mini-mash" counts as PM, but that's how I noted it.

Is there a difference between a partial mash & what AHS calls a mini-mash?

I found the mini-mash not all that much more work than an all extract recipe. I did learn however to perform the mash/steep inside on the stove to maintain a more stable temp. Then I add the wort to my outside kettle, add the extract & enough water to the 6 gallon mark before boiling on a turkey fryer.

At first I was trying to do it all in the boil kettle outside but had many problems maintaining a stable 155F temp. I find if I do it indoors on the stove with a smaller pot & lid that I can follow their instructions to start at 160F, turn off the stove, steep, cover & let sit for 45 min. At the end of 45 min. my temp. is still 153F without having to turn the burner back on.

No, a PM and a mini mash are the same thing. There are some different techniques that some use (a grain bag vs. a cooler for example) but the process is the same.

Brewing is addicting, that's for sure! It's the best hobby I ever had!

YooperBrewmistress said:
No, a PM and a mini mash are the same thing. There are some different techniques that some use (a grain bag vs. a cooler for example) but the process is the same.

Brewing is addicting, that's for sure! It's the best hobby I ever had!

Just converted my 2gal cooler for my brew this weekend. Great writeup in the Wiki for anyone looking to do the same: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Making_a_Partial_Mash_mash_tun

Back