Bacteria/Wild Yeast Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone

Reaction score
Info: AG IPA, Ringwood Yeast(Attenuation 68-72%), OG 1.068

After close to four weeks, it is still fermenting. It was supposed to finish in the high teens and now is 1.014 and still bubbling about once every 40 seconds. It was fermenting at about 62 degrees and I brought it upstairs and it is now at 68 degrees. It has been at 68 for 4 days now. According to Palmer, it it gets below 1.010 and is still fermenting that it should probably be dumped. This is my 11th brew and never had any problems with sanitation, until now maybe.
Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

From the wYeast website:

Attenuation: 68-72%
Temperature Range: 64-74F, 18-23C
Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV

Maybe it just fermented really slow at 62 degrees, and bringing up the temp is finishing it off. Have you fermented this yeast at this temp before?

No this is the first time using this yeast. I am hoping that you are right about temp. but am worried. It was supposed to finish at about 1.017 and a month is a heck of a long time for fermentation.

Take a hydrometer reading tonight and another one the day after tomorrow. If they are the same then you're done fermenting. Particularly after a rather vigorous fermentation, beer will continue to release CO2 after fermentation has finished. Your hydrometer is your friend.:mug:

Yeah, let it go. 1187 does take a bit of time to go. One month isn't out of the ordinary to finish a fermentation post-primary. I wouldn't worry about the possibility of an infection. If you are confident in your previous sanitation efforts, all the better.

I took a reading after 12 days- 1.020. Took another reading this afternoon after 24 days- 1.014. I will take another one on Monday. I hope that it is CO2. I'll let everyone know about the reading Monday.

Monday: It is reading about 1.013 and am counting a bubble every 2 minutes. I am going to go ahead and rack to the secondary and dry hop. If it needs a little bit more time to finish it can do it in the secondary. I'll keep it in the secondary for two weeks before bottling.

Back