Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popscube

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of questions about no bubbles in the air lock and it got me to wondering. Last night I put in an English Brown Ale. I was tired and it was getting late so a pitched a little hot (I'm too embarrassed to say now) and I have some bubble activity in the air lock. My question though is this, there is not much bubble activity right now, but the lid of the fermenter is very sensitive (the slightest touch causes the airlock to move), does that mean it is fermenting? Last night when I put the lid on the fermenter, I couldn't get the airlock to move (thought I had a seal problem for a moment), but now it can move with the slightest touch. Is gas beginning to build? I realized this took more words than needed and I'm still not sure if I'm being clear.

Thanks,
popscube

It sounds like Co2 is building up (due to fermentation). Your fine. Pitching yeast warm can cause off flavors, make sure next time you chill the wort down before pitching.

Back