Harvesting "commercial" yeast; first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpeanut7

Reaction score
So my goal is to make a Bell's HopSlam clone, and in order to do that (and graduate in one sector of homebrewing), I want to harvest the Bell's strain of yeast from their Oberon Beer. I've seen in numerous places that this is the strain used for all of their ales. Basically, I'm just documenting my process and seeing what you guys think.

1. Cleaned all supplies in Oxyclean for 20 min. Half pint jar and Spaghetti jar.
2. Boiled 1.020 wort for 10 min and water for 20 min. (with all supplies from oxcyclean solution in the boil).

3. Added wort to sanitized jar (both room temperature), flamed top of each bottle drank (6), and poured dregs of each beer into sanitized spaghetti jar (1/2 pint jars WAY too small for 6 bottles).

4. Capped and vigorously shook "starter."

5. put jar on my counter covered in a 70 degree house.

6. Will check in 24,48,72 hours.

7. After that, I'll decant, and add more wort?

8. Not sure what to do next, as I don't know how to quantify yeast cells, and not sure how long this will last (not going to make the beer with it for a few weeks.)

Awesome, thanks. I rarely look anywhere but here, assuming I'm such a beginner that all my questions go here.

Back