How long will a starter stay good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinyBuddha

Reaction score
Hey all,
I usually make my starters 48 hours in advance of my brew day but this week finds me in an interesting position. I'm heading out of town this Tuesday and will be back Friday night with a plan to brew on Saturday.

If I make a starter tomorrow (Sunday) and let it go until Monday evening, could I place my starter in the fridge and consider it fine until brewday on Saturday? I'm brewing the Heavenly Scourge IIPA and want to make sure I have enough cells to pitch.

Would making the starter and keeping in the fridge work for a few days or should I go out and purchase extra vials instead of making the starter

Any advice would be great.
~SB

You'll be fine. Try and give the yeast at least a few hours at pitching temp (room temp is fine) to re-awaken before actual pitch and it'll work great.

No problem. According to Chris White, this is actually the best practice. A couple days at fridge temps are great for building trehalose reserves. Whether or not to let it warm up before pitching is debated, but Clayton Cone makes a good argument for pitching straight from the fridge.

Back