Odd taste after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mphall

Reaction score
Hi all. Long time reader, first time poster.

I recently brewed my 2nd batch of beer, a Blind Pig IPA clone. I fermented @ 66 F for 2 weeks, then racked to a secondary, and dry-hopped for an additional week @ 66 F.

At bottling time my beer tasted excellent, but after bottling there is a slight metallic flavor and nose to the beer. My first beer had this same issue, but the off-flavor was even stronger.

Any ideas what happened at bottle time? I was very careful about sanitization and used proper amounts of star san on all my equipment.

I doubt it was a bottling issue, probably was already there but masked by the fresh dry hop taste.
maybe the pot you boil in?

More details: The off-flavor/off-odor is kind of like over-ripened fruit with a bit of metallicity to it.

Also, after swirling my glass for a while, releasing some of the carbonation, the off-flavor/off-odor dissipates.

The beer is not overcarbonated, any other ideas?

do you use a bottling wand? I had a run with contamination back in the day because I was not taking the hole thing apart and cleaning the spring and pin.

What hops? Ive noticed this with Bells octoberfest and summits octoberfest, i was thinking i wonder if certain hop malt combinations can give a metallic like taste.I try a wide variety of beer often and come across this ocassionally not very often and thought it was strange two different octoberfest had this.
I would try changing your water,checking ph or start fresh with distilled and add the right minerals for a good ph.
Are you rinsing your bottles and what are you sanitizing with?
If you are in the early stages of drinking this bottled let them sit longer and see what happens,weird flavors go away for mine if i notice any but i think its just the priming sugar not fully fermented out and conditioned/carbed yet.

I used magnum, cascade and willamette. I'm hesitant to believe this is water-related since the flavor showed up only after bottling. Could residual star-san solution in the bottles cause strange flavors?

Do you run your bottles through the dishwasher? I used to and was getting some funky off flavors....

could be iron in your water. I would try and rinse everything like bottles and fermenter with preboiled water also maybe its your mash ph? Lastly give them time and see what happens with them if its still there. I dont put any judgment on mine unless its been a good month or two in the bottle.

Back