Hows my crush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snwmnhntr

Reaction score
What do you guys think? Using a barley crusher.

image-2134994099.jpg

That looks like a very fine crush. You could run into issues with lautering. Especially is you use a bunch of wheat in the grist. On the bright side you should get very high mash efficiency.

Do the malt conditioning technique with that and you will be a happy brewer. 2% water by weight sprayed and mixed into grains, let the surface dry off (some do a few minutes, I prefer longer) and mill.

I would think with that crush you will get a lot of husk tannin in your flavor profile and quite a bit of flour on the bottom of your brew pot. I would back off a little on the plates. You want the grain to be cracked, but the husks pretty much intact.

That looks exactly like my crush. I have my barley crusher turned to about the 2:00 position. Never had a problem with lautering and 80% efficiency every time. But the only few batches I have done with the new crusher are in the fermentors so no word yet on "husk tannins" but I have never had a problem with that before.

PS where in VA are you located?

Latest posts

Back