2 Element 125VAC Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinkDR

Reaction score
Hey you guys,
This is my first major DIY project. I have a sanke keg that I bought, and I'd like to see about converting it into an electric keggle. Main issue is, however, that I can't get a higher-voltage circuit guaranteed. Therefore, I'd like to run 2 separate 2000watt 120vac heating elements in the keggle. Any reason to avoid this, aside from electrical complexity (running it on two separate current-supplying circuits, dealing with switching two elements, etc)?

Other question: I already have the SS hardware to make a 1" nominal drain on the front, instead of the standard 1/2" nominal. Any reason to avoid this and go with the smaller size? Everything I have is going to be weldless. I'd like to put a 1" ball-valve on the drain and then a 1"x1.5" triclamp fitting on the front. I figure the only reason to go smaller would be to get a lesser flow rate, but I can accomplish that with partially opening the valve.

:off: Last, what would be the cheapest way to get the >1.315 holes in the side of the keg? I have a stepper bit that goes up to 7/8", but what should i do beyond that? Anything cheaper than just buying a larger stepper bit?

So, does everything sound in order? Am I in the clear to go ahead and do this this weekend?

1/2" works great for my setup, but if you have 1" I don't really see why not. A cheap way to drill holes is to use a hole saw, they get a lot of grief around here for not being super accurate holes, but I've used a 7/8" hole saw several times to cut through my kegs to put in weldless fittings. No leaks. Plus they cost around $15, and I've never actually seen a step bit go as big as you need (that of course doesn't mean they don't probably exist)

Currently, I use two 2000 watt heatsticks (on separate 20A circuits) for the HLT and BK.

DSCN0046.jpg

I am considering adding elements to my HLT, though the heatsticks work great.

Having the GFCI's, switches and outlets mounted on the bench helps a lot.

I have a 1500w and a 2000w element in my kettle. Boils with no problem. Havn't tried using my herms coil to do a stem mash yet, but just raising the mash a few degrees seems easy enough. the only problem with two elements is the space they take up. Mine are vertically staggered, one is about 2 inches higher and maybe 40 to 50 degrees away from the other. This takes up a lot of space vertically which is an issue for my herms coil/IC fitting in below the water line.

I have two 2000w elements in mine and I boil 13gallons with no issue at all. Actually have to cycle one on and off to keep the boil under wraps.

Currently, I use two 2000 watt heatsticks (on separate 20A circuits) for the HLT and BK.

DSCN0046.jpg

I am considering adding elements to my HLT, though the heatsticks work great.

Having the GFCI's, switches and outlets mounted on the bench helps a lot.

Looks nice. I'm going to have to drop by and see it some time: I'm split between Tuscaloosa, AL (college terms) and Memphis (summers).

dmfa200, that's perfect! Thanks for that link. Time for another McMaster buy...

Back