Wyeast Smack Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInMaine

Reaction score
Last night a Made a IPA, and was the first time I ever used a Smack Pack. it worked nice. I Smacked it when I started getting everything together. When I Was ready to pitch the Yeast it was ready to go. hopefully it starts in the beer as nicely as it did in the pack. I will probably use them again, they seem to me to be the best thing so far. but only time will tell. has not taken off yet when I last checked about two hours ago. I pitched at about 0130. :mug:

Tom,
I love them, use them regularly too... Tonedef131, not sure I get your point... You bothered that tom uses a red font? they wouldn't give us that option if they didn't want it used. Or that he's just used a smack pack for the first time? I find that pretty cool myself, when I first used them I was pretty impressed as well. Your own mini starter.

Tom what was 0130? 1:30 in the am, or ? I'm not sure I follow that number.

yes sorry 0130 is 1:30 am habit of mine to use 24 hour time sorry goes back to training. Sorry it bothers some if I use different fonts but hey I get tired of small black boring type.

Dry yeast has a higher cell count than liquid yeast out of the package.

You should really make a starter for liquid yeast according to Jamil's pitching rates: Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator or you may get off flavors/lag time/all of that other bad stuff.....

Don't make a starter for dry yeast - just rehydrate it & pitch enough (usually 2+ packets)

oh...and....BLAUUUUUUUUU

Do look in to some of the threads about starters they can really help out. I use a mix of dry and liquid yeast (not in the same brew of course!) just depends on what I'm making. THe dry is nice since it doesn't require a starter to have a good cell count. If you are doing a low gravity beer though a smack pack doesn't need a starter either.

Oh and yes black can be boring, unless it is a little black dress ...oh yeah!

I am making a high OG IPA, ~1.085 estimated and forgot to make a starter. I have one Wyeast British Ale II smack pack, & just started the 60min boil. With tomorrow being sunday (Homebrew store closed) and me flying to Denver for a week for business tomorrow as well, I have come up with a few options. Any suggestions? I'd hate to waste this batch! Comments please!
1) F it, pitch 1/3 the yeast needed.
2) SANITIZE the hell out of my carboy, put in fermentation box, wait until next week to make the starter when I get back, and do it right.
3) I do happen to have 5g of Lalvin EC-1118 champagne yeast. Try out a Frankenstein combo beer, champagne yeast mix??
4) Others? I'd really appreciate some help.

cheers,

Back