how long is too long - lag time question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
Started a great ESB yesterday using W'Yeast London III. I smackd the pack about 3 hrs before hand, but it never really got puffy. I just figured that I did not smack it hard enough. I pitched around 9:30 pm. It is now 6:40 pm, about 9 hrs later. I have never had this long of a lag. How long should I wait before pitching a new yeast?

That's a good reason to proof your yeast before pitching. ;)

If the pouch doesn't expand, the yeast are less than healthy and you should consider pitching another yeast or, at least, pitching a neutral yeast along with it.

Give it 48 hours to form a krausen. Assuming proper sanitation procedures, you should be fine.

should be fine i use smack packs all the time, and if you read them they say you can pitch directly after smacking if you want. i'd wait 48 hours and see if nothing happens. i bet she'll be bubbling like crazy.

all good to hear so far. I am going to give it a few more days. If I don't see some activity by Tues night, I may go the cheap route and pitch a dry yeast.

Still nada at 7 am. Getting nervous.... If I were to re-pitch, what would be a good dry yeast to try?

Still nada at 7 am. Getting nervous.... If I were to re-pitch, what would be a good dry yeast to try?

Safale S04

Y23.JPG

no - 9:30 pm Sun night. As of Tues 7 am no activity. I am just impatient....

Yeah, you are only half way until you should even begin to worry about anything.

On the other hand, I just pitched a starter into my beer on Sunday at 3:30PM and had signs of fermentation when I checked at 7PM. Starters really do work!

Yeah, you are only half way until you should even begin to worry about anything.

This is where we disagree. If I don't see active signs of fermentation within 24 hours, I will take defensive actions to avoid a less than stellar batch.

<soapbox>
I realize most people on this board say "wait for 72 hours", but not me. A healthy fermentation from pitching ample, healthy yeast is crucial for a good end result. Sure, the fermentation could still go ok due to underpitching, but I'm not one to wait 6 months for a medium gravity beer to become drinkable.
</soapbox>

That said, S04 is great yeast and does well for an English ale. I wouldn't hesitate to pitch it. :)

This is where we disagree. If I don't see active signs of fermentation within 24 hours, I will take defensive actions to avoid a less than stellar batch.

<soapbox>
I realize most people on this board say "wait for 72 hours", but not me. A healthy fermentation from pitching ample, healthy yeast is crucial for a good end result. Sure, the fermentation could still go ok due to underpitching, but I'm not one to wait 6 months for a medium gravity beer to become drinkable.
</soapbox>

That said, S04 is great yeast and does well for an English ale. I wouldn't hesitate to pitch it. :)

you are probably right. I have not run into the situation where it took longer than 24 hours to start especially since I started using liquid yeast with a starter, but I definitely wouldn't use a different yeast for the second pitch.

...I definitely wouldn't use a different yeast for the second pitch.

I blend yeasts on occasion. For example, I'm not a fan of the White Labs Wit yeast, so I'll blend a neutral dry wheat beer yeast with a liquid belgian yeast to achieve the desired flavor profile.

Anyway, back on topic.... :D

I blend yeasts on occasion. For example, I'm not a fan of the White Labs Wit yeast, so I'll blend a neutral dry wheat beer yeast with a liquid belgian yeast to achieve the desired flavor profile.

Anyway, back on topic.... :D

Yes, but that is intended. I don't think you would want to pitch a different yeast if that was not planned from the beginning or combining 2 yeast on the first pitch for that matter.

Anyways, back to this. Hopefully there is some action by now.

Out of curiosity, are you fermenting in a bucket and waiting for the airlock to show signs of fermentation? Or have you looked and verified there is no krausen?

One of my bucket lids leaks so bad that the airlock never moves even during vigorous fermentation...

I use a carboy - no krausen seen. I stopped by the LHBS and picked up another London Ale III. I smacked it and will pitch in a few hours. The dude told me if that happens again to bring in the empty pack and they will replace for free.

I can't recall if it was asked earlier, but what was the date stamped on your first pack? In your handling was it ever exposed to temperature extremities?
i.e.: freezing in the car from lunch to quit time, or a sweltering office cube from am till pm?

good news. Pitched again last night - about 7 pm. Raging fermentation at 6:30 am. Looks like the batch is saved - at least as far as I can see.....

Back