Not-So-Obnoxious Baseball Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure to hope to hell the Angels arent in that group! But, even as big a Ranger fan as i am, dont count Oak out for the division yet! Rangers have to win one of three but its gonna be a tough series! Sea will probably be no help in keeping the Angels down, but i can hope!

I sure to hope to hell the Angels arent in that group! But, even as big a Ranger fan as i am, dont count Oak out for the division yet! Rangers have to win one of three but its gonna be a tough series! Sea will probably be no help in keeping the Angels down, but i can hope!

I'm not counting out the A's from winning the division. Can you imagine a scenario where Texas and the Yanks will be playing in the wild card game...

Sorry passedpawn, but it's over. The A's won. Which eliminated the Ray's. Better luck next year, now drown your sorrows. Say ... Go Rays 2013... Lets have some fun...Root for the A's to sweep Texas, The Yanks to lose the next two, Orioles win the next two (against the Rays unfortunately) to win the division, and look for a wild card game between the Rangers and Yankees. Both would be 93 game winners. That would be epic.

Please don't let this scenario happen! What a heartbreak to lead the division from the first day to the last day and then NOT make the playoffs. I can't even imagine how effed up that would be, I pray that Boston gets their **** together and beats the Yanks tonight. And that Texas can pull out 2 more. That's my perfect scenario. Unfortunately, I think the Yanks beat Boston, Texas wins tonight, but the A's probably win tomorrow night. Which give Texas and NY 94 wins and the A's 93. If Baltimore beats Tampa the that makes the Bal and Oak tied with 93. So what happens then? Bal and Oak play for playoff and Texas, Det and NY win their divisions right?

Sorry passedpawn, but it's over. The A's won. Which eliminated the Ray's. Better luck next year, now drown your sorrows. Say ... Go Rays 2013... Lets have some fun...Root for the A's to sweep Texas, The Yanks to lose the next two, Orioles win the next two (against the Rays unfortunately) to win the division, and look for a wild card game between the Rangers and Yankees. Both would be 93 game winners. That would be epic.

Wow, I had no idea that could happen. I can't root for the Rays to lose, just can't do it, but I'd love to see that scenario play out that you mention there.

Congrats to Tiger fans. Their team deserves to be where they are. Cabrera is an MVP for sure.

Please don't let this scenario happen! What a heartbreak to lead the division from the first day to the last day and then NOT make the playoffs. I can't even imagine how effed up that would be, I pray that Boston gets their **** together and beats the Yanks tonight. And that Texas can pull out 2 more. That's my perfect scenario. Unfortunately, I think the Yanks beat Boston, Texas wins tonight, but the A's probably win tomorrow night. Which give Texas and NY 94 wins and the A's 93. If Baltimore beats Tampa the that makes the Bal and Oak tied with 93. So what happens then? Bal and Oak play for playoff and Texas, Det and NY win their divisions right?

Pretty crazy with 2 games left to play. I know that the Tigers are hosting the first two games against someone. In your scenario, Orioles and A's will play the wild card. Whoever wins will play at home against the Yankees starting Sunday, and Texas will play Tigers in Detroit starting Saturday.

Let's say that the 5 teams in the playoffs all split the next two games. This puts TX and NY tied for first with 94 wins, Bal and Oak tied with 93 wins and Det with 88 wins. Bal and Oak would have a one game playoff for the wild card spot, right? Would TX and NY then have a one game playoff for the #1 seed?

Let's say that the 5 teams in the playoffs all split the next two games. This puts TX and NY tied for first with 94 wins, Bal and Oak tied with 93 wins and Det with 88 wins. Bal and Oak would have a one game playoff for the wild card spot, right? Would TX and NY then have a one game playoff for the #1 seed?

Detroit is in, no question. BAL OAK play Friday for wild card. TX NY if tied, the #1 goes to NY based on head to head during regular season. NY won regular season series 4 games to 3.

Detroit is in, no question. BAL OAK play Friday for wild card. TX NY if tied, the #1 goes to NY based on head to head during regular season. NY won regular season series 4 games to 3.

This makes more sense, but for some reason I was thinking there would have to be a playoff for the #1 seed. And if TX doesn't win at least one of these games with OAK, it will be us playing in the playoff for the wild card. Tonight is their best chance. Harrison is on the mound and he has been money all year. Dempster pitches tomorrow and I'm still on the fence about him. At times he has been great and other he sucked goat balls.

This makes more sense, but for some reason I was thinking there would have to be a playoff for the #1 seed. And if TX doesn't win at least one of these games with OAK, it will be us playing in the playoff for the wild card. Tonight is their best chance. Harrison is on the mound and he has been money all year. Dempster pitches tomorrow and I'm still on the fence about him. At times he has been great and other he sucked goat balls.

This stuff is stressful for us. I can't imagine how the players can handle it. One Bill Buckner moment and no matter what you did your whole career. You will be remembered for 1 play.

Wow, can't wait for tomorrows games. 1 game for the west division title. Then you have the Yanks O's. If the Yanks lose & O's win We get to see baseball played Thursday.

This is killing me! How can you play 159 great games and the just suck donky balls the last 3???? The Rangers have one out and one more at bat and then its over. They better get it together!

Well now, lets see what the Yanks and O's do tonight. Sorry Wild, but a win Friday and the World Series is still a great possibility. So now the Tigers won't be playing Texas Saturday, but Oakland, Orioles, Yanks are still possible opponets.

iaefebs said:
Well now, lets see what the Yanks and O's do tonight. Sorry Wild, but a win Friday and the World Series is still a great possibility. So now the Tigers won't be playing Texas Saturday, but Oakland, Orioles, Yanks are still possible opponets.

The way i see it is that i need the O's to lose tonite so that the Rangers can at least host the game friday. Thats all ingot left to hope for!

Now we know that the Tigers will be up against the hottest team in baseball Saturday. The Yanks will have to wait for the wild card winner. Who will it be? I thought the last couple days were great. Can't wait to see the game Friday.

First, I never really noticed there was a baseball thread on here! I'll readily admit, I'm more of a fair-weather fan when it comes to baseball. I have watched the Tigers down the stretch and it wasn't long ago I thought they were not going to get in to the postseason. Thank you CHISOX for giving up at the end of the season!

Just read a bit about the A's, seeing as it looks like they are the first foe the Tigers have to defeat. Wow. That's an amazing end to the season. Tig's are going to have to give it all if they want to compete against those guys. We'll need the bats to be hot and the defense to play smart.

WildGingerBrewing said:
FML. The A's earned it. Best team in baseball for the last 4 months.

True and unbelievable. Good luck to you guys again this year. My cards don't look as good coming in as we did last year. Maybe another TEX / STL final? I doubt it, but who knows.

Was at that game, heckled the crap out of Hamilton.
Ha! Great game to be at if you are an A's fan. And if they are your team, congrat's. Division champ is very well deserved. If the Rangers get knocked out tomorrow, I will be pulling for the A's to win it all.

Now we know that the Tigers will be up against the hottest team in baseball Saturday. The Yanks will have to wait for the wild card winner. Who will it be? I thought the last couple days were great. Can't wait to see the game Friday.
This is the reason I love baseball so much. I'm disappointed as hell that the Ranger didn't win the division but it has been so exciting. Hard not to enjoy.

True and unbelievable. Good luck to you guys again this year. My cards don't look as good coming in as we did last year. Maybe another TEX / STL final? I doubt it, but who knows.
Unbelievable is right. We were in first place for 179 days. The only day we weren't in first was the only day that mattered...the last day! The Cards may have their hands full tomorrow with the Braves, but I will be pulling for you. Good luck! A WS rematch would be awesome!

WildGingerBrewing said:
The Cards may have their hands full tomorrow with the Braves, but I will be pulling for you. Good luck! A WS rematch would be awesome!

Yea I tend to agree. I think Washington comes out of the National league. I hope Baltimore comes out of the American, but I doubt it.

Ha! Great game to be at if you are an A's fan. And if they are your team, congrat's. Division champ is very well deserved. If the Rangers get knocked out tomorrow, I will be pulling for the A's to win it all.

I'm a Giants fan but my bud is a huge A's fan. Still as a baseball fan it was a great experience. The rivalry between the two Bay Area teams is really tame, most folks are happy when the team across the bay does well. This has been an amazing season. From the A's to the Nationals to one of the oldest franchises in the Orioles finally coming back to respectability to the Triple Crown. I can honestly say that if my Giants get knocked out I'll still watch every minute I can of playoff baseball this year.

Yea I tend to agree. I think Washington comes out of the National league. I hope Baltimore comes out of the American, but I doubt it.

Yeah, after watching Gio with the A's and now Nats, that curve is almost unhittable. If my Giants go down, which if they face the Nats they will, then I'll look forward to a Nats versus O's or A's series. O's v. A's ALCS would be one of the best playoff match ups in recent memory.

I have the Reds losing in the NLCS against Washington although I hope they go all the way. I was 11 years old the last time they won the WS. 22 years later and I'd love to see another title.

So this is the day. Braves/Cards at 4:00 and Ranger/O's at 7:30. Man I can't wait!!! Here is what I have to say, to try to put a positive spin on the last 2 weeks of crappy Ranger baseball.
1. We got a much needed day off
2. Yu Darvish, our best pitcher, starts tonight
3. We are playing at home
4. Joe Saunders, the O's starter tonight, is 0-6 with an ERA of 9.38 at the Ballpark
5. Vegas odds are on the Rangers to win.
6. The O's have never faced Darvish

So these are the things I tell myself to make this day go by without me stressing out all day! So good luck to those still in. I'm sure we'll talk tonight!

Wow this cards/braves game is good. Except for that ****ty infield fly call!!!! Rangers on next. God i love baseball!

That call was horrible. I feel sad for the Braves fans. The other call earlier when the batter was called out when he was hit on the head on the throw to first, I called that before the umpire did. That was spot on correct.

iaefebs said:
That call was horrible. I feel sad for the Braves fans. The other call earlier when the batter was called out when he was hit on the head on the throw to first, I called that before the umpire did. That was spot on correct.

As a cards fan. Couldn't agree more on both calls. Simmons was out, the infield fly was a bad call.

I don't feel bad for the braves fans for 2 reasons.
1. They embarrassed themselves and baseball by pitching a hissy fit and becoming vandals.
2. This is payback for the braves of the 90's that beat our ass any time we did anything.

Something no one will talk about now is the crappy call in letting Ross call timeout on that strikeout pitch. That was too late and it should have been a K. Instead he hits the homer. Lohse fault for serving up the same pitch, but still.

passedpawn said:
I can't believe Texas is out. Man they were so good all year. Crazy.
Man this sucks! I am speechless. This was our year. Im heart broken. This team will not be the same next year. Gonna be some changes made. Probably starting with Hamilton. Napoli is a free agent too. Its gonna be a long few moths until spring training.

BPal75 said:
Let's go O's!! Orioles magic baby!
Congrats. They played a damn good game and beat us. Good luck in the playoffs.

Lololololololol at the Nats. Shelve Strausberg in the divisional, get raped by a far inferior team. Best team in the NL gonna get sent home cause they aren't throwning their arguably best player even though he's healthy.

Lololololololol at the Nats. Shelve Strausberg in the divisional, get raped by a far inferior team. Best team in the NL gonna get sent home cause they aren't throwning their arguably best player even though he's healthy.

Maybe someone's trying too hard to win mgr of the year. Too much thinking. Anyway, they are only down 1 game so far, right?

McBrewskie said:

Well, I agree about not pitching strassburg being dumb, but far inferior team?

That may be going too far. 2nd best offense in MLB, best catcher in baseball, NL leader in saves, last years WS and NLCS MVP, Carpenter, Wainwright, and oh yea, defending champs.

Plus, apparently we don't even start trying until October every year.

Well, I agree about not pitching strassburg being dumb, but far inferior team?

That may be going too far. 2nd best offense in MLB, best catcher in baseball, NL leader in saves, last years WS and NLCS MVP, Carpenter, Wainwright, and oh yea, defending champs.

Plus, apparently we don't even start trying until October every year.

You don't have the best catcher in baseball. That title belongs to this year's NL MVP Gerald Dempsey Posey.

McBrewskie said:
You don't have the best catcher in baseball. That title belongs to this year's NL MVP Gerald Dempsey Posey.

He may be the best hitting catcher, but not the best catcher. Molina has been the best catcher for a while now. This year he just hit lights out too. Not as good as posey, but overall it's Molina.

Back