It's spring- and time for FISHING!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We've spent the last few days fishing, both at our secret "No Name Lake" and our cottage. At the cottage, we're fishing right off of the dock. Here's some fun photos from the last few days:
DSCN0285.jpg

DSCN0288.jpg

DSCN0262.jpg

DSCN0254.jpg

DSCN0256.jpg

With fish that size, have you considered panfrying whole fish rather than filets? :). Sorry, just love smaller fishes.

With fish that size, have you considered panfrying whole fish rather than filets? :). Sorry, just love smaller fishes.

We almost always fillet and skin the panfish. Even the biggest fish we get in Texas in the winter, too, actually now that I think about it.

We don't usually get perch at our lake past the end of May, so it's one of the biggest signs of spring that we have for us! The same with crappies- they will be going deep soon, and we won't see them again until next May.

You can dip deep for them perch. Hardest part is knowing where they are. We did that when I was a kid. Grandpa new where they hung out in the summer and after the bluegills were done spawning we'd send crickets and wax worms down on a long line. When you hit the right spot everyone in the boat is hauling up perch and crappie.

I miss fishing, but there is not point in getting a boat until the kids are gone. It's too much work when you are the only one who knows how to start the motor and/or row the thing. And you have to bait all the lines. And take the fish off...

There's hardly time to eat a sandwich and drink a beer!

I love fishing, even though I suck at it. It's great just to be outdoors and near water. Living in the desert, our selection is pretty limited though...

What I usually do with the sunnies (or at least what I used to do when I wasnt all big citified) is clean and scale and then cut a few slits in each side before stuffing with herbs and covering with lemon slices. Couple seconds to a couple minutes on each side usually ends in deliciousness. :-D

I love me some crappies fresh caught and panfried. Reminds me of spending the summers in Wisconsin fishing out of a flat bottom john boat... nothing beats fresh caught! Cheers Yooper, not much to catch in downtown Chicago, except riots and protestors right now (stupid NATO).

I love me some crappies fresh caught and panfried. Reminds me of spending the summers in Wisconsin fishing out of a flat bottom john boat... nothing beats fresh caught! Cheers Yooper, not much to catch in downtown Chicago, except riots and protestors right now (stupid NATO).

That's how we catch crappies- our little john boat in a small no-name lake. It's great fun, and I love crappies!

We caught some more fish today (Bob is still fishing from our dock, catching perch) and are going to have fish fry with mango salsa tomorrow!

Trout, Trout Pretty Little Trout jump right in and splash about!

Beginning Wednesday the 23rd I will be at my favorite secret stream fishing for Rainbows, Brook and Browns for an entire week. Camping and fishing and brews with my brothers. Cannot get here fast enough .

nice lookin' crappie. I missed the crappie spawn here this year due to turkey season coming in so late. Only a few more long weeks until my canoe trip in Quetico with all the walleye and smallies a man can dream about.

i caught this the other day in a pond in Land Between the Lakes in western KY. Sure i was 1 mile in either direct of Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley but there are all kinds of old ponds hidden off the beaten path if you dont mind a hike in tick infested woods.

463929294521283293913398193613.jpg

I'm heading out to one of the lakes this Saturday for some lake trout jigging. I have only been out once so far this year on the opening day of pike season and I got skunked.

Wish I could hit the water. Right now the River is blown out from rains and the Bay is blown out from well blowing wind. 22 knots strait down the bay right now.

Here is my offering from trout fishing:

A Centennial IPA and an 11 inch Brook trout caught on 2lb test and an ultra-light rod -- that was a fun!
Next pic is the Brook with the Brown, the other catch that morning.

2012-05-27_12-40-43_720.jpg

2012-05-27_12-49-30_73.jpg

Nice lookin' fish! I took the boat to the ramp for the first time this year only to find out that the water pump has crapped out... dammit!! Oh well... got the parts on order...

Sweet fish all!

We've been up to our cabin 3 times fishing this year. Opener, all I caught were pike and an accidental bass. Two weeks ago the pike were biting in a frenzy along the north shore of the lake. Too many to count and one very large one that spooled off all of my line before snapping. Must've been hitting the crappies that were suspended just off the breakline.

Memorial we finally caught a few keeper walleye for the visiting family on slip bobbers in 20 FOW. Caught a few crappies off our dock too, but I put most of them back. I like them returning every spring and they are finally getting 12"+ now. We kept 10-15 sunfish (pumpkinseeds and bluegills) as fish appetizers on our fish fry. Pike and bass were willing biters as well (all returned).

I'll be going nuts this weekend staying at home. We'll next head up after school is out for the kids in a week and a half.

Latest posts

Back