looking to try a good kolsch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2eng

Reaction score
Just tried a Reissdorf Kolsch, and it was OK.

Not sure kolsch is my type of beer. I love IPA, RIS, english ales/bitters, scotch ales, porters, etc. The Riessdorf kolsch was milder than I expected.

Am I expecting too much from a kolsch? Should I try another brand?

Thanks for you input. After kolsch comes a deeper dive into belgians... except for the sours/lambics!

Eric

Frueh is my favorite, but they don't export to the US - Reissdorf and Gaffel are the only ones, I believe.

What do you expect out of a Koelsch? To me, it's the ultimate session and lawnmower beer, well-balanced and always refreshing without being terribly filling. It's extremely versatile, pairing well with numerous foods and enjoyable any time of the year. Plus, I love and appreciate its cultural history.

Yeah, I don't know what youre expecting - but kolsch is typically a mild drink to begin with.

Pyramid Apricot Kolsch (Curve Ball) is pretty good, but I don't think the purists would think it's a real accurate drink.

Yeah, I don't know what youre expecting - but kolsch is typically a mild drink to begin with.

Pyramid Apricot Kolsch (Curve Ball) is pretty good, but I don't think the purists would think it's a real accurate drink.

Well, it's misnamed, but that doesn't mean it can't be a great beer ;)

Koelsch literally means "from Cologne" and is legally defined as such in the EU (it's a protected designation of origin). Anything brewed anywhere else, or with adjuncts not specified by the Koelsch Konvention should technically be called Koelsch-style ale or somesuch. Of course that restriction does not apply outside the EU, and it's pretty much left up to the brewer to decide what to call it. You can brew a Pineapple IPA and call it Koelsch if you wanted to ;)

There's apricot in Curve Ball? Not that I recall. I think it's a pretty decent Kolsch, though Gaffel is probably a bit more straightforward for the style. I had a Gaffel over the weekend, and really enjoyed it.

Yes, like I said, I didn't know much about kolsch so I wanted to make a fair judgment of them by trying a few.

They are light, but a bit too light for my taste. I was surprised how light they actually are. Pretty close to an american lager.

Thanks for the input. I have now been edumacated!

Eric

Cape Ann Brewing Company does a Kolsch-style Ale called Fisherman's Ale. I really enjoy it. If you're on the East Coast, I highly recommend it!

Pyramid Apricot and Pyramid Curve Ball Kolsch are two different beers.

Pyramid used to call this beer a Kalsch because it was brewed in Kalama WA. :rolleyes:

Hales Brewery here in Seattle makes a pretty decent Kolsch. Reissdorf is the only imported Kolsch that I've seen in the NW and isn't that great IMO.

anybody has the recipe to curve ball or any ideas where i can get it. thanks

Koelsch Is great, but not greatly complex. It is all about crisp simplicity. Outside of Köln, it is near impossible to get the really good Koelsches. I think Reissdorf is as good as it gets. Listening to your other beer styles of choice, it doesn't seem like Koelsch is up your ally. Full circle from new Holland brewing and Goose Islands Summer Koelsch are both good domestic examples that actually received the nod of approval from some of my German friends who live in Köln.

Back