The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My fiancée and I make pizza almost every week. Generally we don't make our own crust dough (hangs head in shame) but we do get the frozen lump from a local farmer's market sort of place. Generally it's onion, mushroom, banana peppers and occasionally other veggies that look good. I have mostly given up on meat pizzas, too greasy.
I also like flavorful crust, so I brush it with garlic water. a dash of parmesan cheese and oregano on with the sauce, then the mozz cheese, then the veg. yum yum.

garlic water? please explain...

We use a garlic olive oil (head of garlic cooked in olive oil) to brush on the crust.

Made one with half the crust stuffed with string cheese yesterday. Pretty good

ForumRunner_20131015_044300.jpg

ForumRunner_20131015_044315.jpg

image-4210669253.jpg

Yeast starter for dough and yummy pizza with Willamette Valley Sitar Pinot Noir!

Attachments

• image-3377682142.jpg
    image-3377682142.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 234
garlic water? please explain...

We use a garlic olive oil (head of garlic cooked in olive oil) to brush on the crust.

We get the jars of crushed / minced garlic (yeah, we use plenty of the real stuff too, but this is more convenient) and take the water it's packed in, and brush that over the crust of the pie before adding the sauce and so forth.
It doesn't make the crust soggy or anything, just gives it that nice flavor.

jrgtr42 said:
We get the jars of crushed / minced garlic (yeah, we use plenty of the real stuff too, but this is more convenient) and take the water it's packed in, and brush that over the crust of the pie before adding the sauce and so forth.
It doesn't make the crust soggy or anything, just gives it that nice flavor.

Interesting. I've never been a huge fan of the jarred garlic. Perhaps I will have to revisit it sometime....

We get the jars of crushed / minced garlic (yeah, we use plenty of the real stuff too, but this is more convenient) and take the water it's packed in, and brush that over the crust of the pie before adding the sauce and so forth. It doesn't make the crust soggy or anything, just gives it that nice flavor.
Interesting idea. I may have to try that.
Stuffed the crust with 8 string cheeses... hence the octagon. This was a delicious greaseball. Used whole milk mozzarella and pepperoni.
That is awesome!
Interesting. I've never been a huge fan of the jarred garlic. Perhaps I will have to revisit it sometime....
I use it because I HATE chopping garlic, but I do think the flavor isn't as good as fresh. But I use it for the convenience.

I always keep a BIG (Costco FTW) jar of minced garlic in the fridge. Makes it easy to add garlic to anything. Hell, I'm often tempted to stir a spoon full of it in my coffee in the morning.

ChefRex said:
Tex mex pie, refried beans, taco meat,

Sweet onion and japs,

and white cheddar,

nice and spicy, split a habanero between the beans and the meat, :rockin:

Omg you put Japs on it?
Seriously though... Looks yummy. Send some up here. I'm ok with a five hour pizza delivery service....

Made my first couple sourdough pizzas yesterday. I let it rise for a couple hours without much production, may have under pitched. First one is pepperoni, second is a hamburger that about exploded. These still turned out good :D

2013-10-20 16.26.33.jpg

2013-10-20 16.38.44.jpg

2013-10-20 16.38.51.jpg

finsfan said:
Made my first couple sourdough pizzas yesterday. I let it rise for a couple hours without much production, may have under pitched. First one is pepperoni, second is a hamburger that about exploded. These still turned out good :D

Nice. Maybe a longer rise next time?

Try making the dough ahead of time and refrigerating. How big was your sponge?

It was meant to be a cup but Im sure I messed up somewhere. I measured one cup to save and put in the fridge and used the rest. I did not measure it but it was at least half the size of the jarred amount

You've got the "circle pie technique" down to an art. I don't think I've ever made one as round as that pepperoni :mug:

It isn't too difficult, the key is making a nice round ball for it to rise and I put it in a round bowl. When you take it out to form it, I push my fingers all away around to create a middle ring - still have a large bulge in the middle. Then you pick it up and use the doughs weight so it stretches the middle out itself. Do a few quick twirls and lay it on your paddle.

Had a ball of left over dough so what the heck, improv pie!
Spinach sautéed with garlic and dried, "sun" dried tomatoes. Sauce made from adobo, sun dried toms in a tube and a bit of HB porter.
Mozz and Pecorino, salt and pepper.
Crust didn't have a lot of spring but came out nice and crisp, went over well.

DSCF0102.jpg

DSCF0105.jpg

Spinach sautéed with garlic and dried, "sun" dried tomatoes. Sauce made from adobo, sun dried toms in a tube and a bit of HB porter.

Still waiting for my 5 hour pizza delivery.

That's awesome! On my list

Haven't made pizza in a while...

Still need to find a dough/technique that I like. Have tinkered with Alton Brown's and one of the main recipes teh interwebz using a poolish and overnight fridge rise, but still can't find one I like.

Maybe it's because I don't have a stand mixer and am too lazy to hand knead for ~15 minutes.

Looking for a pretty basic NY style thin crust; crunchy, yet chewy; etc...

Haven't made pizza in a while...

Still need to find a dough/technique that I like. Have tinkered with Alton Brown's and one of the main recipes teh interwebz using a poolish and overnight fridge rise, but still can't find one I like.

Maybe it's because I don't have a stand mixer and am too lazy to hand knead for ~15 minutes.

Looking for a pretty basic NY style thin crust; crunchy, yet chewy; etc...

this recipe has been working well for me. I use a stand mixer though.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=576.0

Melana said:
AZ - I have a stand mixer and never use it to put together dough. For the initial mix I use my hand and do minimal kneading. Every half hour or so I'll stretch and fold a few times to build gluten.

I need kneading lessons.

Wait, what?

Thanks for the encouragement lady and fellers.

Dough has come together pretty good tonight. No time for an overnight rise, but I'm happy with how it is working so far.

AZ_IPA said:
Thanks for the encouragement lady and fellers.

Dough has come together pretty good tonight. No time for an overnight rise, but I'm happy with how it is working so far.

Souls have made a double batch... One for immediate consumption and the other for the next day.

Excuse the crappy cell phone pic; but I'm back!

Greek style on the left (spinach, feta, olives, pepperoncini rings, roma, no sauce) and canadian bacon (homemade) & mushroom on the right.

One problem I'm having is I'm at elevation (~7,000') and baking sucks at elevation; hell, even hard boiled eggs are a challenge. Any tips for dough prep/baking at elevation?

pizza-61274.jpg

AZ_IPA said:
Excuse the crappy cell phone pic; but I'm back!

Greek style on the left (spinach, feta, olives, pepperoncini rings, roma, no sauce) and canadian bacon (homemade) & mushroom on the right.

One problem I'm having is I'm at elevation (~7,000') and baking sucks at elevation; hell, even hard boiled eggs are a challenge. Any tips for dough prep/baking at elevation?

Yum...
Try this.... http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/high-altitude-baking.html

I don't have a picture, but I've been making this pizza. It's a chicken and broccoi white pizza.. ok, Take some fresh dough and make the pie. Sprinkle some Pecorino Romano cheese on the dough with some olive oil. In a skillet sautee some chicken, broccoli with olive oil and garlic. Cook it up good and cut both the chicken and the broccoli in little pieces. Pour everything in the skillet onto the dough. Spread it around. Add some Mozzarella cheese. Not too much, just enought to cover everything on the pizza. Throw it in the oven at 495 until golden brown. I like red pizza, but this is so friggin good. I make a couple every Friday night.

Sorry if you guys have already talked about it. It's so good, I can eat 2 whole pizzas.

Back