It's Saturday Brewday - Watchya Makin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to brew today if the LHBS's grains were cheaper or comaprable to midwest. They weren't. Midwest was cheaper even with shipping,so it'll be next week before I get my grains for the next pm pale.

Well usually it's Saturday brew day for me to but it got moved to Tuesday this week.

Brewing: Whitehouse Honey Porter
Kegging: Spiced Winter Ale

Man wish I was having Saturday brew day! Perfect day for it here in WNC (I'm an outdoors brewsman). Wednesday i'll be brewing a Dead Ringer IPA, just hope the weather holds out.

Yeah,gotta wait on Fed-Ex myself,so Monday at the earliest. Can't wait to get this next pm ale going. I've been sitting on a pound of NZ hops I'm dying to experiment with. And that clean,crisp pm goodness should be a perfect way to showcase the NZ hops.

Pssh. Friday Brew Night and Sunday Brewday.

Did a heavy hoppy wheat last night, waiting for the fermentation to start on that, and tomorrow I'm doing a brewer's best cream ale kit.

I was going to brew today if the LHBS's grains were cheaper or comaprable to midwest. They weren't. Midwest was cheaper even with shipping,so it'll be next week before I get my grains for the next pm pale.

What kind of grains did you order? I'm checking out Midwest and they seem to be just about the same price as my LHBS (homebrewing.org). I'd love to find cheaper prices for grains, that's the killer right now.

I'll be doing another partial mash pale ale,but my own recipe this time. I ordered;
2lb Rahr 2-row
2lb Marris Otter (crisp)
.5lb crystal 20L
.5lb Carapils (Breisse)
Going to the LHBS for US-05 yeast & a 3lb bag of Munton's plain light DME for that English flavor/color.
The grains cost me $8.42! That's 5lbs total. Shippin Fed-Ex went down to $11.39. The LHBS's grains were $2.02 for some vs 1.39 midwest. .5lb's were 1.89lhbs vs like 79c midwest. LHBS had some odd brands too,& can't buy small amounts of some grains I need if they did have them.

SNPA clone. Made a 1 gallon batch and really, really liked it, so going to make a 5 gallon batch.

Wish I was brewing...

I'm at work building home standby generators... Tomorrow I'm brewing a Weiss.

I completely understand the necessity for saving a dollar here, a dollar there, etc but I really try to support my LHBS as much as I can. If it only cost me $7 more for an item at the LHBS I'm likely to still buy it. My local store has been crucial in my fairly new hobby of home brewing and I have to say I REALLY like having them around. I would hate to see them go the way of the Dodo because they can't compete with online purchasing.

In my case,the lhbs is a lot like BJ's...some things cost less or about the same. Other's cost substancially more. gotta be aware of prices when shopping there. But yeast & hops are compareable there. A 3lb bag of DME is $12-$13,so that's pretty good. They have a couple different brands & extra light to dark as well. Munton's (English) or Carlson (US).
Besides all the other stuff. I get my Cooper's cans,DME,dextrose,o2 barrier caps & the like from them,as they are comparably priced.

I love Brew Day!!! Unfortunately mine was the last 2 weekends....but will brew next Saturday....a Nut Brown

Today is bottle cleaning day....and beer drinking day for me.

Enjoy your brew day guys! :mug:

Cheap all extract session beer....................

You see.......A good friend of mine who drinks WAY too much of my beer is getting a lesson on how I make this magical stuff.

I want it to look as EASY as possible so the lazy bastard starts brewing his own!;)

I forgot to post the recipe for the day.

Style: American Brown Ale
IBU's: 32.62
Color: 20.1 SRM
Boil Size: 1.65 gal
Batch Size: 1.00 gal
OG(est): 1.059
FG(est): 1.024
ABV(est): 5.90

640g DME (half at beginning, half at 15 min)
45g chocolate malt
50g 60L Crystal Malt

2.5 g Nugget(13.3%) - 60 min
3.0 g Willamette(4.7) - 15 min
2.0g Willamette (4.7) - 1 min

0.4 vial California Ale (WLP001)

Probably not until tomorrow, Northern Brewer Chinook IPA extract kit. All chinook hops. Part of me wants to leave the recipe alone to see how it turns out, but another part of me wants to add 1oz. crystal hops near the end of the boil. Thoughts about this?
Cheers!:mug:

I forgot to post the recipe for the day.

Style: American Brown Ale
IBU's: 32.62
Color: 20.1 SRM
Boil Size: 1.65 gal
Batch Size: 1.00 gal
OG(est): 1.059
FG(est): 1.024
ABV(est): 5.90

640g DME (half at beginning, half at 15 min)
45g chocolate malt
50g 60L Crystal Malt

2.5 g Nugget(13.3%) - 60 min
3.0 g Willamette(4.7) - 15 min
2.0g Willamette (4.7) - 1 min

0.4 vial California Ale (WLP001)

that looks delicious. have you made it before?

that looks delicious. have you made it before?

nope... made it up all by myself.

i'm doing some experimenting. i'm making a series of one gallon batches using mostly the same ingredients, and adjusting the grains and amounts to be appropriate to the style.

Last week was a porter, so it was basically this + some black patent.
Next week an amber ale, so this - chocolate, and adjusting the crystal malt to 80L or maybe 90L.
Then the pale ale, which is this, minus the chocolate.

in each case, adjust the hop treatments, and amounts, to hit approximately the style guidelines, and stay fairly "middle of the road".

i'm trying to get my baseline "American Brown's" worked out, so i can then add/subtract, etc., and know what to expect.

Once I get these done, i will either shift to "british brown" or "yellow" or some other logical, related groups.

I look forward to seeing the results posted on here. Need to get my hands on some 60L at some point soon, and then figure out what to make with it. not a huge coffee fan, but with as little chocolate as is in your recipe, I think it might be worth a shot.

last week's porter on the left... this week's brown ale on the right.

difference is the porter has black patent in grain, brown ale doesn't, nothing else is different... obviously not much change in color.

2012-12-01175129.jpg

So I brewed a yeast starter for tomorrow's ESB. I also kegged an ESB, and finished a keg of ESB.
Did I happen to mention that I like ESB's? :)

-a.

I brewed a 10 gallon batch of my all grain of my Irish Red today. It was a nice brisk 45° and sunny. Couldn't ask for a better day!

I brewed a 10 gallon batch of my all grain of my Irish Red today. It was a nice brisk 45° and sunny. Couldn't ask for a better day!

Nice! I am just a short distance north of you......here in Stewartstown, PA.......but no brew today...next saturday will be brewing Nut Brown......today was bottle cleaning day (I hate bottling, need to start kegging)...........

Was a damn nice day!

I'm taking next weekend off. I hope the weather holds until the week after. The only bad part about sub-50 weather is the cleaning afterwards.

Probably not until tomorrow, Northern Brewer Chinook IPA extract kit. All chinook hops. Part of me wants to leave the recipe alone to see how it turns out, but another part of me wants to add 1oz. crystal hops near the end of the boil. Thoughts about this?
Cheers!:mug:

I've brewed this beer. I'd leave it alone, it's a great beer.

My first ever IPA. Its mostly from leftovers and I have no idea what I am doing. Par for the course!

IPA

Kona Longboard lager clone. First lager! Bottled a Columbus IPA yesterday.

My first solo brew and second ever brew. I'm doing an Autumn Amber Ale kit I got with my living social deal from Midwest. Just waiting now to get my temp low enough to pitch my yeast. The next thing I buy is definitely going to be a wort chiller.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown Ale on Monday, once my grains come in.

Oak barrel bourbon porter. We basically took the Northern Brewer recipe and added some more flavor and aroma hops. What can I say? My brewin' buddies and I loves us some hops.

I've brewed this beer. I'd leave it alone, it's a great beer.

Hey, thank you, I appreciate the feedback. I was surprised to see only 3 oz. of hops in an ipa recipe, but upon further review, 1 oz. is reserved for dry hopping.
I definitely wont mess with the recipe, this is my first dry hop.

Hoping I can get my brew finished before the storm (and winds) move in today. Nothing is worse than trying to boil 6.5 gallons of wort in 40-50 MPH winds.

EDIT: Obviously that isn't true. My propane burner sucks... First world problems...

Back