Help wiring Control Box- 240V Electric Herms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-J

Reaction score
I'd appreciate any input here . I am in Australia and have 240V .
I was thinking of using power leads from 2 mains outlets ( 10A each).
One supplying HLt(2000W) and pump and the other supplying the Kettle(2000W) and Ferment Fridge, and BCS.

I am trying to get something together to take to my mate to help put together a control box.

This is what I came up with... so far...

I'd appreciate any input here . I am in Australia and have 240V .
I was thinking of using power leads from 2 mains outlets ( 10A each).
One supplying HLt(2000W) and pump and the other supplying the Kettle(2000W) and Ferment Fridge, and BCS.

I am trying to get something together to take to my mate to help put together a control box.

This is what I came up with... so far...

brew1

https://www.circuitlab.com/circuit/4hkgte/brew1/

I believe you are on a 230/400 volt system, your voltage is 230 line to neutral? 10amps isn't much to work with, but if using 480volt rated elements.... The reduced voltage from 400v instead of 480v will only reduce your wattage output of the element. Doing it this way you could use higher wattage elements on your 10a circuits.

I have only a small 25 litre (6 Gallon) system with 2000W elements on the Hlt and the Kettle. the voltage is 240 L and neutral .

You're fine.

2000 Watts at 240v = 8.4 Amps

Just be careful that your fermentation fridge, when running, doesn't consume more than 1.6 amps.

You may be close enough to capacity that you will need to disable your fridge during brew time. But obviously, disconnecting your ferm fridge for a couple hours won't hurt anything.

Good luck!

SweetSounds said:
You're fine.

2000 Watts at 240v = 8.4 Amps

Just be careful that your fermentation fridge, when running, doesn't consume more than 1.6 amps.

You may be close enough to capacity that you will need to disable your fridge during brew time. But obviously, disconnecting your ferm fridge for a couple hours won't hurt anything.

Good luck!

Liability.

Back