Ferm chamber / kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
I currently have a mini fridge that holds 2 full cornies and a 3 gallon on the hump. I'd like to be able to fit 4. I also currently have a ferm chamber using a 4cf mini fridge. I was thinking of gutting the mini fridge and building a ferm chamber the size of a refrigerator. I would then use the bottom to ferment, and the top to place the cornies for serving. On the shelf between the two chambers, I would place a louvered vent and fan. When the ferm chamber reaches a certain temp, I would kick the fan on and blow cool air from the top, to the bottom of the fridge. I'd line the inside with 2inch foam and waterproof vinyl like on bathroom walls. Anyone see anything wrong with doing this?

...On the shelf between the two chambers, I would place a louvered vent and fan. When the ferm chamber reaches a certain temp, I would kick the fan on and blow cool air from the top, to the bottom of the fridge...

IMO the louvers on the fan would not stop the cold air sinking to the lower compartment. Making the lower compartment too cold for fermenting.

Ok, I wanted to keep the fermenters down low due to weight. I often ferment in a half barrel didn't feel like hoisting that to the top shelf. Unless I just fill while it's up there. Back to the drawing board.

Back