propane burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Anyone use a propane burner in the house or is this just obsured? Just preparing for the winter months.

Not safe in so many ways! Propane tank in a dwelling, build up of deadly, odorless carbon monoxide, potential to burn your house down, just to name a few!

I believe that a number of people here have reported safely using propane in their garages with the door open slightly.

I will do it in my garage and open the door slightly... no problems at all.

JBrady said:
Anyone use a propane burner in the house or is this just obsured? Just preparing for the winter months.

Yeah... Im gonna go with dont do that...

Maybe just invest in a nice warm jacket¿¿¿

Bad idea. Carbon monoxide is not your friend.

A garage with the garage door open a foot or two should be ok though. I plugged in a carbon monoxide detector in the garaage last winter to make sure though.

Just remember that LP is heavier than air and CO is lighter than air. And remember ventilation, ventilation, ventilation.

As a boater, I can tell you the results of LP building up in peoples' bilges. It's not pretty. Don't let it "roll downhill" into your sump or something like that.

Moonpile said:
Just remember that LP is heavier than air and CO is lighter than air. And remember ventilation, ventilation, ventilation.

As a boater, I can tell you the results of LP building up in peoples' bilges. It's not pretty. Don't let it "roll downhill" into your sump or something like that.

Uh.. isn't carbon monoxide heaver than air.

I honestly had to look at wikipedia for that, though I knew about LP.

This article says it's marginally lighter than air, but that turbulence and diffusion will probably guide CO's dispersal more than bouyancy.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem03/chem03364.htm

Anyway, back to the point, we actually cook just inside a basement door when it's too cold or raining. We're right next to the door for max vent. I'm not so happy about where any LP would go, but, again, there's usually a decent breeze coming in, and as long as there's an open flame any stray LP should be consumed.

Whenever possible we cook outside, since I think given the sunken nature of the basement it's not a "best practice". We store the LP outside.

If we were in a typical garage, I'm sure that opening the door(s) a few feet would be more than enough and any LP would just get blown outside.

Don't any of you live out in the sticks? My parents home has a propane range, heater and dryer. Before my grandparents got electricty (1960!) they even had a propane refrigerator.

There is nothing inherently more dangerous about propane as compared to natural gas. I had an old wall natural gas heater finally start to throw CO. I came home several time to a screaming CO alarm.

Either one is perfectly safe, when handled correctly.

Handled incorrectly, either one will kill you.

Do it in the garage, can't be any worse than having a kerosene heater going for hours on end can it?

Ture, propane isn't any more dangerous than natural gas. But I would bet that the amount of gas burned by that propane burner is significantly more than a propane range. And the heater and dryer are most likely vented outside. That's where the use of a big propane burner is potentially more dangerous.

I'd do it in the garage, and I'd still use a CO detector.

If the item is designed for outdoor use then it would take a Darwin Award Candidate to use it indoors!!!!

Ask the fire Department for advice and say what they say.

Gas appliances are designed to burn bottled gas much more efficiently than outdoor equipment. There are a whole s++load of regulations that apply to ranges and clothes dryers that do not cover the way a turkey fryer burner works. Using an outdoor burner indoors is a sure way to see your name and address in the paper, as in "the FD responded..."

Back