Too late to start hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrookedChris

Reaction score
I have 3 hop rhizomes (Willamette, Goldings, and Centennial) in the fridge that have been there for about 1 month. I planned on getting thesse in right away but have just been too busy.

Today's June 1. If I get these in the ground this weekend will I still be in good shape or is it too late?

What can expect from starting so late in the season?

Advice is greatly appreciated. I did a search first but admit I didn't read every page of every post about growing hops.

Thanks!

Well, you aren't going to get much from them the first season anyway. I'd get them in there so that they can get established for next year. Otherwise, what, you'll just toss them. So, plant them, but don't count on anything from them this year (even less than you would usually get for the first year). Can't see any harm in planting.

I guess it would depend on your location. But the first year of growing is basically going to be for getting your root system established. You won't have a big yield anyways. I just planted mine about a week and a half ago. It still hasn't broke ground yet. I can't wait though. If anyone has a pic of a plant just breaking ground I would love to see it so that I know what to expect. :drunk:

Back