Bottling wand on 10gal Corny setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinghole

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking at getting a larger bottling bucket than the typically available 7.9 gal wine fermentor bucket. I thought about buying one of the 10 gal plastic fermentors but thought they might be flimsy or difficult to lift to bottling height. I decided to find a way to bottle off my 10 gal cornys I use for primary fermentors.

Here's some pics of the set up. I will be giving the first run next week on a dubbel I brewed 3 or 4 weeks ago. It works great with water/starsan at the moment with out a low pressure regulator. This will theoretically allow me to bottle around 1 vol of residual if I seal up the keg and slightly force carb or if I buy myself a spunding valve setup. Then to keep everything oxygen free in the keg I will hook up a cask breather made from a LP low pressure regulator. This will allow for a pulled in CO2 blanket and if I adjust the regulator up a touch I should be able to get very low pressure to assist with the bottling.

The parts consist of a 12" length of 1/4" 304SS pipe. A 90 degree 304 SS elbow, a threaded ball lock liquid fitting, 1/4" flare thread to 1/4" pipe adapter (cannot find in SS at all), and finally the pipe is capped off with a 1/4" pipe to 3/8" barb. The flare to pipe adapter is not a common part and you will have to order it online unless you have a VERY well stocked parts store. I could only find it made by one manufacturer and that was Parker. It was much cheaper through Portage Specialty as I have listed below. Also as you can see I had to bend the pipe to get as parallel to the keg as possible. I just heated it with a torch and bent it by hand against a concrete step. I'm sure some of you guys have a vise or something to use.

HPIM2385.jpg

HPIM2386.jpg

HPIM2387.jpg

Parts list:

12" Pipe 4830K142 $9.86
90 Degree Elbow 4464K12 $4.53
3/8" barb for 1/4" pipe 362113 $13.41
1/4" female flare to 1/4" MPT adapter 664FHD-4-4 $1.30

Total cost if just ordering one of everything is $29. It would only be $16 but the pipe to barb is a pack of 10 and $13 for the pack. I'm actually glad it's a pack because you can replace it with frequency if you'd like.

Well I would like to report that this worked awesome! I loved bottling off this and it even allowed me to bottle my 3L bottle easily. I look forward to setting up a second filler setup for using with wild beers.

This is now my standard bottling set up. I should be able to get close to my bottling carbonation level with beers like IPAs but using all natural carbonation via a spunding valve. I will bottle it straight from the keg or bottle it with some priming sugar depending on the temp and pressure. If I'm only at what would be 1 volume CO2 I would simply add enough priming sugar for a little bit of carbonation and let that do its thing in the bottle.

Back