Black Sun Stout Clone (hoppy dry stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxSpang

Reaction score
I'm drinking this nectar of the gods right now, and I love it. It's like a chocoloate/coffee mixed with piney/citrus hop aroma, and it has a dark chocolate/malty/hoppy taste with a creamy and smooth mouthfeel.

Here's the description from the Three Floyds site:

"6.5% ABV 50 IBUs
Black Sun has a nose of coffee, roasted malts and piney hops. This medium bodied stout has a broad depth of maltiness and a clean dry finish. December release."

I tried to work on a recipe that would produce this type of flavor. Let me know what you think:

Black Sun Clone
13-A Dry Stout

Size: 5.24 gal
Efficiency: 63.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 220.45 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.066 (1.036 - 1.050)
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (1.007 - 1.011)
Color: 31.66 (25.0 - 40.0)
Alcohol: 6.51% (4.0% - 5.0%)
Bitterness: 49.4 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
13.0 lb American 2-row
1.5 lb Roasted Barley
9 oz Oat Flakes
0.5 lb Barley Flaked
0.5 lb Chocolate Malt
6 oz Coffee Malt
0.5 oz Warrior® (16.0%) - added during boil, boiled 35.0 m
0.5 oz Warrior® (16.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 m
.25 oz Amarillo® (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 m
.25 oz Simcoe® (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 m
.25 oz Amarillo® (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 m
.25 oz Simcoe® (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 m
.25 oz Amarillo® (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 m
.25 oz Simcoe® (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 m
.25 oz Amarillo® (8.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
.25 oz Simcoe® (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 ea WYeast 1968 London ESB Ale™

I know the Warrior hop additions look weird, but I'm trying to keep it right around 50 IBUs. It's a full 60 min. boil.

I'll make a nice starter for this one. And I was thinking about mashing at around 150 - 152 to get a nice malt/dryness balance. Let me know your thoughts! :mug:

Looks awesome, what do you think about adding lactose? That would add some body to the mouthfeel. I might just give your recipe a try!

I thought about it, but the actual Black Sun doesn't appear to have that lactose flavor. I don't really think it has oats in it, either, but it DEFINITELY has more body than other "dry" stouts I've had. I think the oats and barley flakes will add some nice mouthfeel while still keeping the beer right around 6.5% ABV.

Right now, this is probably the recipe I am looking the most forward to. FFF is known for utilizing the "hop burst" technique, so I'm trying to reflect that in this recipe.

Hate to do it, but anyone have any other feedback on this one? I'm very excited about brewing this delicious beer

I know you already have flaked oats in there, but if you want more body you could always throw in a pound of carapils. Just a thought.

I know you already have flaked oats in there, but if you want more body you could always throw in a pound of carapils. Just a thought.

Not a bad idea, though the actual Black Sun is sort of medium bodied, not heavy or anything. It's actually super refreshing. It's not quite a dry stout, but it has a moderately dry finish.

Not a bad idea, though the actual Black Sun is sort of medium bodied, not heavy or anything. It's actually super refreshing. It's not quite a dry stout, but it has a moderately dry finish.

Max, did you ever brew this?

Back