BrewDay Saturday - Nebraska

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flushdrew42

Reaction score
I took a quick trip (14 miles) to a coworker's house this morning to see him on brewday, and had a great day as a result.

dave was 1/2 way thru the mash when i arrived, he was making a california standard lager, and his set up is similar to what you see on brewingtv, or what have you. 3 shelves on a center post, all swivel and adjust for height and have burners. being a n00b myself, and watching him with his AG batch made me think that i might not stay with extracts forever... makes me want more space.

he gave me tons of tips and little tidbits of advice, from using bread yeast in the boil as yeast nutrient, to tips on bottling and even offered to let me come use his gear whenever i have an all grain recipe i want to try, and offered some of his to me.

dave has a 5 tap keg fridge in his garage and we sampled all of them. a belgian wheat, a german wit, a porter that's black as the ace of spades and amazingly tasty, an american lager, and a peach wheat that his wife loves... i have to say i'm very impressed.

so i got home and immediately bottled my first brew (which was ready, i wasn't rushing it) transferred my 2nd batch to a secondary, and brewed #3... so now i've got a pipeline going, however, i still have two weeks before i have any product to taste.

i neglected to take any pictures, but i will the next time i head that way.

what a great saturday of beermaking...

anyone else have a day like i did? not necessarily today, but an all day brewfest?

i noticed this thread didn't have anything like a general brewday discussion thread, so, i thought i'd start one.

This is why it's good to read noob posts too. I've never heard about using bread yeast as nutrient before. Learn something new every day :rockin:
Sounds like you had a good time. Welcome to the addiction..er..hobby.

boist - thanks! (this is the first post of mine that didn't basically die, or kill the thread)

i used the bread yeast with my golden ale on saturday, and even with the same yeast (coopers) i've used before, the fermentation is seriously vigorous, and started a lot quicker.

i'm very happy to be in the addict- hobby.

Latest posts

Back