Will using a coagulant reduce the soporific effect of hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonlin

Reaction score
Started homebrewing over the winter, and have made about 9 batches now, and I've definitely noticed that the IPAs I've done in particular, and other higher hops beers have a huge sleep inducing effect on me. I'll have 2 beers and just be about ready to fall over (but not drunk at all). I was wondering if using whirlfloc or irish moss might cause some of the more soporific proteins precipitate out of solution.

Any thoughts or experiences?

I would like to see some scientific studies that demonstrate a soporific effect in hops, rather than just the anecdotal evidence and old wives' tales I have seen so far. This is akin to claiming that Ben Franklin said that beer is "proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".

Maybe the soporific effect is because IPAs are higher alcohol content and you are drinking yourself into a stupor.

If indeed hops do induce a soporific effect it wouldn't be proteins that are responsible so the answer to your question is "no".

The only psychotropic effect I have ever noticed with hops is that on brew days an intense craving for a beer brewed with the same variety that is in the kettle starts once the hops aroma starts to pervade the brewery.

Back