So...has anyone had the cops called on them for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've been "contacted" (detained and attempted interrogation) so many times by the fuzz, i can't remember. usually, when i am en route to or from my vehicle at a shooting spot on the side of state hwy 41, i see chips and they see me with 5 rifle cases and other people with multiple cases, and don't feel it necessary to inspect if any are "loaded."

What? LOL!!!

i've been "contacted" (detained and attempted interrogation) so many times by the fuzz, i can't remember. usually, when i am en route to or from my vehicle at a shooting spot on the side of state hwy 41, i see chips and they see me with 5 rifle cases and other people with multiple cases, and don't feel it necessary to inspect if any are "loaded."

i thought i was the only one that does burnouts in my driveway or in front of the house.

Far from it :) I do a holeshot or 2 on the Hayabusa before I change out the rear tire.

I live in one of those fancy neighborhoods but we have larger lots and are all far enough away that its not much of a problem, cant really smell it and nothing to see except when I run the chiller outside the garage.

Most of my immediate neighbors are drinkers and after a night across the street we were racing lawnmowers (full helmets, gloves, and I had a cape) in the neighborhood at 2 am. lol One of them was even over on new years and was putting a hurtin on my keg of pete's wicked ale clone.

No problems with the police as of yet and I dont really foresee it.

last time i drunk raced my craftsman mower, i had the blade engaged, and decided to "mow" a fallen tree.

Haha, nice. I can tell you the V-twin craftsman can rip a nasty wheelie especially on an uphill paved driveway.

I too am a cop (CHP) and have been brewing for about a year now. Was turned onto it by a fellow officer and when I transfered to my new area I gained the interest of many at my new office. We now have 5-6 huys who brew. I'm thinking of starting a Brew Club. We trade brews every now and again. I stopped a guy not too long ago and when I walked up on the truck I noticed several cases of bottles, no labels and only permanent marker on the caps. The guy had a nano brewery and was traveling from pub to pub trying to sell his beer. I couldn't write him a ticket, only a verbal warning. He tried to give me a sixer but I just couldn't accept. I wanted to though. Looking back I wish I would have.

:off:

it cracks me up the deputies won't come for dirt bikes on the street.. "that's a chp problem"... so by the time the guy travels 40 minutes to my house, all he can give me is a warning, and to "always wear a helmet."

We call it "kissing it off." Deputies will kiss anything vehicle related off to us and we do the same back to them when it comes to domestic issues.

I have not had a cop-stop yet. But I have had a neighbor fill my mailbox with pamphlets on how bad deep fried turkey is for you. After talking to a few neighbors, the prevailing theory is that I eat 1-2 deep fried turkeys per week.

Hahahahaha, I loled so hard.

I took hops to the pub and got reported.
Haha, why did you do that? Going to dry-hop one of the beers to show off? :mug:

For a fellow brewer

I'm constantly having to explain to people that they're hops and not weed. People aren't very bright. I was looking through the stuff on Northern Brewer and a guy shoulder-surfed me and asked if I was buying weed online...I thought he was joking...he wasn't...

No cops but an ex-marines wife.

Right after I bought a refractometer from AHS, I was brewing a batch of English Pale Ale in the garage with the door open. To use the refractometer, I stepped out on the driveway for more light (the eyes just aren't what they used to be...that or several HBs). Anyway, as I'm peering thru it, I hear a rather loud and annoyed "What the hell are you doing?". I look over the refractometer and see a neighbor and her friend walking their dogs. I didn't notice them and had inadvertently pointed the refractometer directly at them. They thought I was checking them out with a small telescope. I explained to them what it was and had them look thru it. They were cool with it. We are good terms with them; her husband is an ex marine and as subtle as a M1 tank. The last time a neighbor was making too much noise, he sat out on his driveway cleaning his guns. I have tried to convert him with some home brews, but he is a dedicated Shiner Bock drinker.

No visits for the homebrew or the billowing smoke from the smoker, but my LEO roommate swears I'm cooking meth from all the equipment I have.

When I worked in a Homebrew shop we had a break in and the one of cops that came to investigate became a regular at the homebrew store and he even purchased a small still for distilling "Water" of course .

I have not had a cop-stop yet. But I have had a neighbor fill my mailbox with pamphlets on how bad deep fried turkey is for you. After talking to a few neighbors, the prevailing theory is that I eat 1-2 deep fried turkeys per week.

LOL. That is awesome.

And OP, I have a feeling those neighbors are going to be a pain in your A$$.

I have a cop, father-in-law, that drinks my beer and a State Rep, his best friend, that has drank it too.

Guess it's a good thing it's legalized now.

ah... the pleasures of living in the sticks with a looooooong driveway and a house that is out of site and out of smell from my neighbors. Plus there are only a couple houses on my street and they all know I brew.

The Man could drive by 20 times and never suspect a thing. MWAAA AHHH AHHH!!!!

Everyone once in a while I run out to a LHBS from my office in Boston to the shop in Cambridge so I hop on the T (subway). A couple days ago I was coming back tot he office with a plastic shopping bag.... a couple lbs of random specialty grains and then about 12 ounces of whole leaf hops. i wasn't paying attention and just had all of the hops sitting on top in these vacuum sealed clear pastic bags.

I got about three or four really odd looks. Ehh... screw 'em. I figured if I tried to hide it at that point it would have looked even worse.

Never had them show up from brewing.

Had a sherif come out one day when we were out shooting. He ended up staying out there for about an hour and shot stuff with us. It was scary how terrible he was with his service pistol.

Had a sherif come out one day when we were out shooting. He ended up staying out there for about an hour and shot stuff with us. It was scary how terrible he was with his service pistol.

I want to move to wherever it is that you live. If I was shooting in my backyard I would be tasered to death a-la Vancouver Airport Incident.

Never had the police called. Right now though my landlord is trying to sell the duplex I live in. I'm legally required to let people in, but I'm not required to make it look good :D

Two weekends ago a realtor made an appointment to show it, and that's when I happened to decide to brew. I saw the car pull past the house reaaaal slow, the driver gave me a super dirty look, and then they sped off. I guess that's one potential lost sale opportunity.

The Cops in our county ended up building their own range so they wouldn't have to be embarassed by the rest of us.________________________________________________________________________^^^I may have spelled that wrong, but I shoot better than I spell, and I don't enter many spelling bee's!:rockin:

I want to move to wherever it is that you live. If I was shooting in my backyard I would be tasered to death a-la Vancouver Airport Incident.

Common down to Texas. As long as your not in city limits or shooting at people . . . . nobody is going to stop you.

I will be honest, it did sound like WWIII was going on at times that day. We had some friends over and everyone was shooting each others guns. Everything from .17HMR to black powder 45-70 cartridge was being sent downrange.

Hmmm, I have videos of my 3 year old shooting an AR with his grandpa. I need to scrounge those up.

But, once again, the sheriff was scary. I wouldn't trust my life to him and his pistol.

Looks like this guy is being accused of distilling because he has a wort chiller, kegs, a funnel, tubing, brewing instruction, and a home-brewing book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXTqCZi8iOM

It was 1992 or something like that, so hopefully they are a bit smarter nowadays.

"At the very least, blind somebody!" Thats classic... Are there a lot of HB recipes that deal with cyanide?

"At the very least, blind somebody!" Thats classic... Are there a lot of HB recipes that deal with cyanide?

He's talking about methanol, which is an old wives tale related to brewing. They're morons assuming it's a distilling operation, which can have more issues with methanol.

Back