Entering Homebrew Alley 6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upperNY01brewer

Reaction score
So Ive decided its time to entry a home brewing contest, if for nothing else to receive the judging results on my entries(though of course I'd like to place with them too). My question is, Im not really sure into which style category my Pumpkin Ale falls. Ive read the style guidelines and Im thinking it is a specialty or spice. Can anyone tell me what they have entered theirs in ?

I've also entered a beer into this competition.

It was a Rye Pale Ale. I entered in 6D the American Wheat Rye category, but I'm not sure if I would have been bettr off in the pale categories.

Thoughts?

This is my first competition too. Entered a pumpkin pie ale, brown porter, and scottish 60/-. Good luck everyone and i'll see you there. Just curious what time is good to get there?

BrewingViking said:
This is my first competition too. Entered a pumpkin pie ale, brown porter, and scottish 60/-. Good luck everyone and i'll see you there. Just curious what time is good to get there?

6.30pm it opens to the public for the awards ceremony. Just say hombrew alley to the big dude on the door as it's a private event.

For those who are going, do you get all your results there or do you just see who the winners are?

I can't believe how fast they got the winners up! Great organization. I didn't place in either of my porter categories (I knew my berliner failed to carbonate so I didn't expect anything with that one). I'm interested to see how the scoresheets look.

This was my first competition and I entered two beers. My specialty stout did well, unfortunately my IPA bottle was oxidized. I did find the score sheets for both beers had useful comments.

I agree they got the results up super quick. I saw the results sheet but haven't seen my score sheet. Did they post them online or were you all at the actual event?

I was at the event. They started handing out score sheets a little after best of show.

Right on, hope your beer scored well, did they mention if they were going to make the scoresheets available online or mail them to those who were out of town and unable to attend?

Right on, hope your beer scored well, did they mention if they were going to make the scoresheets available online or mail them to those who were out of town and unable to attend?

The stout I entered in the specialty beer category did well. It was a maple rye stout, but the maple doesn't really come through. I think it would have done better if I just entered it as a rye stout. The other beer had been oxidized so it didn't fare too well. They didn't say anything about score sheets that weren't picked up, but the envelope they handed me had my address on it, so it is safe to assume they will mail them out.

Damn. I had to leave early because my gf had to get to class in the morning. What did I miss? lol. I left when they we're giving out the mead prizes...

Great comp. The organization was brilliant. Getting through that amount of beers and all the results so fast was a top effort.

I took first place for my common cider.:ban: My IPA scored pretty well too. I picked up my score sheets after the awards. Got some great feedback. I'm pretty sure they mail the rest out.

I have to say that this is definitely one of the best competitions in New York. The lady at the UPS store messed up my address and I contacted the organizers and they were more than helpful about getting my beer package if it ended up in the wrong hands. They contacted me immediately after getting it.

My only regret is not driving down for the award ceremony because I missed out on at least a sack of grain (and I'm not sure what else they give, but the prizes are fantastic compared to other comps).

I haven't received my feedback/ribbons yet, but I'm sure it's in the mail.

I have to say that this is definitely one of the best competitions in New York. The lady at the UPS store messed up my address and I contacted the organizers and they were more than helpful about getting my beer package if it ended up in the wrong hands. They contacted me immediately after getting it.

My only regret is not driving down for the award ceremony because I missed out on at least a sack of grain (and I'm not sure what else they give, but the prizes are fantastic compared to other comps).

I haven't received my feedback/ribbons yet, but I'm sure it's in the mail.

What did you get a medal for?

There were a lot of prizes awarded. I remember seeing, sacks of grain, books, gift certificates, glassware, tee shirts, and more I can't remember.

I got two 1st place wins and BOS. I was hoping for the signed book, but I think they are just gonna send the $100 gift certificate since its easier to mail (not that I'm complaining of course) :)

Congrats on the BOS!!

Any chance you wanna post that Dunkel recipe, I still have yet to find a beer of that style that I really enjoy....maybe you can change my luck!!!

Thanks! 2nd year in a row. I was pretty surprised actually since the Pils that won it was only 4 weeks old (1 week in the keg).

I'll post the Munich Dunkel recipe when I get home.

I got two 1st place wins and BOS. I was hoping for the signed book, but I think they are just gonna send the $100 gift certificate since its easier to mail (not that I'm complaining of course) :)
Congrats! And I agree. Gift certificates and brew supplies are nice, but you'll have something like a signed book years from now to look back on your accomplishment.

Anybody get their score sheets yet? Still waiting for mine...

I just emailed them and got a reply in literally less then a minute! They said that the score sheets are being sent out this weekend. So next week! :ban:

Back