negra modelo ale version

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
I've really been enjoying negra modelo lately. I'd like to have a staple beer that is basically a quick-finishing mild with negra modelo-like characteristics.

Obviously I can't make an ale that tastes exactly like a lager. The goal here is to have something that could possibly go from grain to glass in 3 weeks. I was thinking of a bastard beer something along the lines of this:

4 lbs 2 row (it's cheaper than MO or pils)
2 lbs vienna
.5 lbs carafa II
.25 lbs roasted barley
1 oz hallertauer@60
nottingham yeast (cause its cheap and chainsaws through beer)

1.036 OG
19.4 IBUs
24.5 SRM

Surprisingly, it falls within style guidelines for a mild.

I looked at some negra modelo recipes and basically just tweaked them a bit to make a roasty mild. Edit: also, I don't care if it isn't exactly the color, I want it to be black. Any imput, thoughts, or suggestions? Never done anything like this before.

Oh yeah, or I could flip the 2 row and vienna, make it 4 lbs vienna 2 lbs two row. Or I could go with 5 lbs two row, no vienna, and a half lb of c-60. Like I said, I don't really have much experience in this area but if someone could lend any of theirs I'd appreciate it. This would be the smallest beer I've ever brewed, and I have no experience using specialty malts in such low quantities.

I think there is good reason to add some extra roasty characteristic to this beer. I brewed a dry stout that was just LME and a lb of roasted barley and it was a very good session beer and matured very fast. I think roasty-ness can help cover a green beer up a little, and roasty beers taste good when young. I'm sure I'm not alone here.

Northern Brewer has a limited time recipe kit right now that is called "Modelo Norte" that sounds like it is pretty close to what you're after. It is done as a lager, but you could probably get away with doing a kolsch or cream ale blend and fermenting on the cool side. I think I am going to try it soon(I don't have lagering capabilities). The recipe is mostly Vienna malt, I think with a bit of Caramunich, dehusked Carafa, and flaked maize. Check out NB's website, you can check out the recipe there by looking at the kit instructions.

I personally would not add roasted barley for a NM type beer, it will give too much roast character to be smooth. I would think your grain bill is ok with a 50/50 split of 2 row and vienna, or even 100% vienna, and a touch of caraffa II just to bring the color up. Keep the fermentation temp in the low 60s if possible so you don't get the esters from going to high. Everything else seems ok, you may want a 10 min addition of hallertauer, but if this is supposed to be in the mild range and not like a NM skip that idea.

That recipe is not going to have any negra modelo-like characteristics.

very constructive post - it took me quite a while to get through all the detailed insights

very constructive post - it took me quite a while to get through all the detailed insights

Really? I thought it was pretty straight forward.

KAMMEE already mentioned the deviation from Negra Modelo. Roasted Barley has no place in this recipe (neither does carafa II).

I have a recipe for NM that's pretty nuch dead on.

8# Pilsner
1-1/2# Vienna
2 oz. Chocolate
3/4 oz. Hallertau @ 90 min.
3/4 oz. Tettnanger @ 90 min.
1/2 oz. Tettnanger @ 10 min.
Bavarian Lager yeast

If brewing an ale I would use WLP001 or anything that ferments clean.

Thanks for the recipe post, bja. I may have to do this one next. Have you ever done it as an ale? I am thinking it will probably be pretty good as an ale even if it isn't exactlty like NM. Man, I really need to make a fermentation chamber so I can do some proper lagers.

*BTW, the quote in your signature is hillarious - is that your own quote or someone else?

Thanks for the recipe post, bja. I may have to do this one next. Have you ever done it as an ale? I am thinking it will probably be pretty good as an ale even if it isn't exactlty like NM. Man, I really need to make a fermentation chamber so I can do some proper lagers.

*BTW, the quote in your signature is hillarious - is that your own quote or someone else?

I have brewed this as an ale. I make 10 gallon batches and usually ferment half as a lager and the other half as an ale. I like either way and don't really have a preference.

I can't take credit for the quote. It came from another forum I frequent. I too thought it was hilarious, and somewhat scary.

Back