What alcohol range do you brew most often?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What alcohol range do you brew most often?

• 3-4% <1.040

• 4-5% <1.050

• 5-6% <1.060

• 6-7% <1.070

• 7-8% <1.080

• +8% >1.080

Results are only viewable after voting.

user 22118

Reaction score
Pick Multiple option if you like.

I find myself doing around 4% most of the time. I like milds and am drinking them fairly rapidly. I have to admit, I am a cheap SOB too and anyway I can save $5 a brew, I like. Mostly I get about 1.040 OG

Most of my beers dont taste that great, so I'm always trying to brew in the middle alcohol range. Ill do this until my beers start tasting better lol.

Id love to try a Belgian big beer soon. Id like to see how bad I can screw it up, lol. My motto is time fixes all wounds. So in other words my beers get good age. Sometimes I choke them down young and green however.

I like beers around the 4% range too. I like to have several at a sitting without getting sloppy drunk.

i like the 5-6% range, though i have brewed a mild and stout that i'm drinking that that are 3-4% range

5-6% is my range, typically right in the middle. It's high enough to feel it from one pint, but low enough to drink a few and not be trashed. I've brewed a few in the 4.5-4.8% range, but they were a bit thin-tasting to me. I guess I just like a lot of malt and a decent amount of hops in my beer. 5.5% just tastes perfect and works well into almost all recipes.

I want to brew 5.5-6% but I always end up in the 6-7% range. I guess I figure the higher alcohol the longer it lasts but I can't say for sure that's why I always choose the higher gravity side of brewing.

High alcohol is easy and cheap. A pound of corn or table sugar is a buck or two, and kicks your ABV up about a point.

Doesn't do much for the taste and thins out the brew, though.

I aim for 5.5 to about 6%, but seem to have trouble hitting the mark.

I like big beers and almost always brew over 6% and generally shoot for 7% and my next batch is going to be a Barleywine where i am shooting for 10.5%

Me ... If I am going to brew.. I want a kick.

I brew APA's or Hefe's hell even my stout I have kicked up over time to reach the 5% mark..

I rather drink 2-3 and really feel it than drink 5-6

I am all over the map but it tends to be somewhat of a bell curve. Many are around 6% but I have done 3% Milds and a 12.5% Barleywine. I like so many different styles that not one OG range is going to cover.

Craig

Back