is sleeping in the same room as my beer dangerous?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohill1981

Reaction score
I know the fermenting put's out carbon dioxide. Is it dangerous for me to sleep in the same room i am brewing in with only 2 5gal batches at a time ?

I know the fermenting put's out carbon dioxide. Is it dangerous for me to sleep in the same room i am brewing in with only 2 5gal batches at a time ?

im putting this in my SIG. nah ur gonna be fine. All brewers would have died out long ago if this was an issue. Just dont have a propane burner in the house with closed windows...

One thing I can say is. The first batch of Apfelwein that I made got me horribly sick. I used to sleep on a fouton that backed up to where all my carboys sat and the fumes(rhinofarts) that it was putting off during the most vigorous fermentations made me horribly sick.
I woke up at 4am with this overwhelming smell that I had been smelling all day, except it was super intense because all the windows where closed and fans off.

I puked all over the fouton, kitchen, hall and bathroom. I am pretty sure that it was all the sulfur fumes that I was taking from the off gasing.

Printenction is the key to being protectef onm you, Maybve if you are are ful you wont; throw up like oth er someone did. I thonk you need another beer possibljy/

I used to sleep on a fouton . .

I puked all over the fouton, kitchen, hall and bathroom. I am pretty sure that it was all the sulfur fumes that I was taking from the off gasing.

A futon is not a real futon until it has been puked on. Besides, they deserve it.

Well, fermenting beer and a live woman give off about the same amount of CO-2. Either one is fine but both at once can be dangerous. Now you know why so much beer is brewed by monks.:drunk:

Quoting from Revvy's sig. line.

"Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonuff View Post
If your carboy ends up pregnant then you have a problem."

A 5-gal batch of beer is not Lake Nyos. You're safe.

So who is geeky enough to do a calculation of how many gallons of beer you need to have going in a sealed room in order to die of CO2 narcosis?
:drunk:

It is a lot. And I mean A LOT!!! I did some calcs on this a long time ago in some advanced science courses when we were making Wine and Moonshine. (yeah my High School was awesome!)

It also came up a few years ago in regards to something else but i forgot which.

You can rest assured that it would take a massive amount of fermenting beer in a horribly vented room to create deadly levels. I think Mythbusters did something about this on an episode. The sealed a room and ran some form of reaction that was producing CO2 to see if it would be deadly and they couldn't even get close. (The myth was that a woman somehow sealed her room and while sleeping all the O2 was used up and only her CO2 remained.

If you really wanted to get technical you could actually measure the amount of CO2 coming out of your carboy and you would see it is hardly noticeable. Your breath creates more CO2 consistently than a 5 gal batch of beer fermenting in the room.

It is a lot. And I mean A LOT!!! I did some calcs on this a long time ago in some advanced science courses when we were making Wine and Moonshine. (yeah my High School was awesome!)

It also came up a few years ago in regards to something else but i forgot which.

You can rest assured that it would take a massive amount of fermenting beer in a horribly vented room to create deadly levels. I think Mythbusters did something about this on an episode. The sealed a room and ran some form of reaction that was producing CO2 to see if it would be deadly and they couldn't even get close. (The myth was that a woman somehow sealed her room and while sleeping all the O2 was used up and only her CO2 remained.

If you really wanted to get technical you could actually measure the amount of CO2 coming out of your carboy and you would see it is hardly noticeable. Your breath creates more CO2 consistently than a 5 gal batch of beer fermenting in the room.

Your prolly right about all that but, stick your head down in a chest freezer that has had a beer fermenting or a couple weeks and you'll start to think twice.

That is, after you come out of your blackout.

Your prolly right about all that but, stick your head down in a chest freezer that has had a beer fermenting or a couple weeks and you'll start to think twice.

That is, after you come out of your blackout.

Yeah sounds like fun. Small spaces and CO2 with no vent rocks!!! :rockin:

I only sleep with other poeples beer. Sleeping with my own beer just feels incestual.:cross:

P.S. If a friend asks to sleep with your beer make sure he uses sanitizer. Otherwise the beer make get an infection:D

i think the Mythbusters episode was about METHANE from flatulance... not Co2. an entirely different issue altogether!
now, being married to a fellow beer drinker (micro and home, never a macro)
talk about having a solid relationship... once you get over the "humor" of "hotboxing" each other, youll be fine...

anyway, your safe with the tiny bit by weight of Co2 your carboys are releasing compared to respiration, and flatulation that is goin on in that room.

i think the Mythbusters episode was about METHANE from flatulance... not Co2. an entirely different issue altogether!
now, being married to a fellow beer drinker (micro and home, never a macro)
talk about having a solid relationship... once you get over the "humor" of "hotboxing" each other, youll be fine...

anyway, your safe with the tiny bit by weight of Co2 your carboys are releasing compared to respiration, and flatulation that is goin on in that room.

No I am pretty positive it was CO2 and breathing in regards to a sealed room not methane. I know this because when I saw this thread I immediately remembered that episode as a I saw it recently. Either way the answer is what you said. Fermenters can't release enough CO2 to kill you unless it is a completely sealed room and very small or you have a lot of them going.

If your sleeping in a coffin with your beer blasting away at prime fermentation, you may wake up with a headache.
If your sleeping 4 inches away from the air lock, same problem.
If your in a 6' x 3' room and a 20lb tank of CO2 blew, your be hurt from flying metal shrapnel well before you could get enough O2 to stay alive.

Putting on an air-mask attached to your CO2 with no leaks. Yea, that is bad, as in you will die, and I don't think you want that.

Back