munich malt and additional sugars question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr jones

Reaction score
what is the flavor profile of munich malt? and when is the best time to add additional sugars? i have 2 recipes one calls for honey is it a good idea to boil it after the steeped grains for about 15 minutes? also spices were going to go in with the sugars then into the fermenter.is that at all right?
then i have another recipe that calls for brown sugar and i was planning on doing the same thing.
my local homebrew shop said i should steep 1lbs of munich and 1/2 lbs of carapils for about 45 mins from 148 F to 158 F. does that sound right.
and one more piece of info i'm brewing with a Mr. Beer recipe. (please don't cast stones, i'm trying; gotta butter up swmbo to the 5 gal. idea) heres the recipe list if you want to see why i'm working with. thanks you guys. and happy halloween!

-nick

I use 1/2-1 lbs Munich malt to give PAs, IPAs a little malt back bone and to add some color. You can also use Vienna malt for a little less color and malt flavor. Or try Victory for more color and a bready malt flavor.

Back