Tippy MLT Plans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
Has anyone that has done a tipping-dumped MLT with a keggle drawn it up so as to be able to give dimensions on the position of centerline of rotation on the keggle in terms of dimension from bottom?

I am also curious about the swing of the bottom's arc radius in relation the a fixed height burner.

I've seen a lot of sculpture pics, but none of the actual layout of a tippy dump.

Clearly, a roughly 16 x 48 footprint is where I am headed, (I actually have a 2x4 steel tube bench that I may cannibalize ;) ) but the tipping stuff I would appreciate not having to trial and error... :(

I am just starting to draw up my exact plans with the Google sketch thing...

Links, pics, plans, dimensions would be MOST appreciated.

I'm still thinking about mine but I'm not rigging my dump the same way. I can understand trying to pivot from the midline somewhere just above the center of gravity but that's only necessary when the payload is really heavy. I plan to make a simple square cradle for the bottom and use four pins through the bottom skirt to hold it down. This cradle will lay flat on the stand and be hinged on the end. I'll use some light chain to limit it's movement so that the MLT will hang off the stand at 45 degrees ready to be hosed out. I plan do this for the kettle on the other end as well. I'm so tired of manhandling these kegs out on the lawn.

OK, so your order on the bench is MLT, HLT, BK?

Also are you saying that the Keggle rests on the hollow, square tipping frame, is hinged from the end of the bench, and tips...either forward or from the ends? When you speak of pinning the bottom in place, do you mean into the thru-holes, or just pinning against the diameter around the periphery?

Do you have an idea for what will receive the water and spent grain on the ground? Wheelbarrow, maybe?

I had only seen one pic of a tippy, here, can't remember whose, but it was a dedicated, upright tipping frame, with pivot..

OH, yeah, Bobby_M, check's in the mail today-no, really. :D

Here's BrewPastors.
3144-GrainDump_45569.JPG

Henry Hill said:
OK, so your order on the bench is MLT, HLT, BK?

Also are you saying that the Keggle rests on the hollow, square tipping frame, is hinged from the end of the bench, and tips...either forward or from the ends? When you speak of pinning the bottom in place, do you mean into the thru-holes, or just pinning against the diameter around the periphery?

Do you have an idea for what will receive the water and spent grain on the ground? Wheelbarrow, maybe?

Yup, MLT HLT BK. Yeah, basically the top of the whole stand will be made from angle with the "L" upside down more like a "7". Each section under a keg will be a basic square with maybe some corner reinforcements. For the HLT secion, I might weld a few piece of L in the upright position just to hold the keg from slipping off when I wheel the rig around. Now, on either side of the rig I'll build a similar square out of angle but the "L" will be upright to create a tight cradle for the bottom skirts of the kegs. The keg bottom will touch the uprights of the L at the four tangents. That's where I'll drill a hole through the L and the Keg skirt and insert a bolt or pin to hold the keg tight. The hinges will install on the short ends of the stand in each corner so the dump occurs away from the center HLT. That way you have the ballast of the rest of the stand to keep the whole thing from toppling. I almost put the hinge in the front but a full MLT of spent grains would probably be a problem if the other vessels were empty. I plan to draw this up in Sketchup before I start cutting just to make sure there are no obvious design flaws.

Thanks, (again ;) ) Shortdrive, yeah I was thinking maybe it WAS Brewpastor's deal I had seen, but that is not where I am headed. Same concept, far different execution....

Bobby, seems we need to try and share this direction, since we are both using Sketchup (http://sketchup.google.com/#utm_medium=et&utm_source=en-us-about-sketchup&utm_campaign=en), have three keggles, and want to recirculate wort, rather than direct heat the MLT. IF that is OK with you....

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, and I may not attain the whole rig at first, but I am aiming to use QD's, 1 pump at first, two pumps later, LOVE controlled basic heat control (but I don't really know chit about controls....) for the HLT and BK.

I get to find out if there are already models for keggles in Sketchup, and bunches of other fun....

How is it that nobody has done this before ME....??!! I am seemingly the last person who would attempt this....:eek:

Back