I just dropped a whole bottle of anitfoam in my kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noobbrewer1234

Reaction score
I just dropped a whole bottle of anitfoam in my kettle right as it was about to start to boil (10 gallon final batch...staring around 14 gallons in the kettle). Am I completely screwed and should I dump the beer or will it settle out in the trub and be fine to drink? Will I kill myself testing it out?

Do not dump. I'm not sure which anti foaming agent you're using but I would imagine that it should not kill you if it is food safe.

FDA talks about a certain part per milion for the silcone.

You'll be way over that and silcone is NOT good to eat. I'd be worried about it personally.

"After primary fermentation finishes, fermcap-s drops out of solution to the bottom of the fermenter, so you can just rack right off of it."

fermcap-s = Simethicone = gas-x for anyone who is curious.

If it is truly Simethicone you can drink as much as you want. I've never heard that it is until now. Not saying it isn't true, just that it's the first time I've heard it.

Makes me mad that I went all the way to the home brew store when I have it at home.

Simethicone is used by lots of parents with infants - we used to put it in our baby's bottle with formula. It's made to pass right though you and reduce the surface tension of gas bubbles making big bubbles into small bubbles which pass through you more easily (and more quietly).

Back