Liquid Dip Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelvinator

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should trim the dip tube on my Cornelius keg to avoid picking up sediment off the bottom? I'm a newby so go easy. haha

Kelvinator said:
I'm wondering if I should trim the dip tube on my Cornelius keg to avoid picking up sediment off the bottom? I'm a newby so go easy. haha

I trimmed all of my straight dip tubes about 1/2 inch.

My bent dip tubes, I simply pulled out and gave them a bit sharper bend.

I end up losing the last 1/2 pint or so, but my beer runs clearer sooner and no yeast bite.

BierMuncher said:
I end up losing the last 1/2 pint or so, but my beer runs clearer sooner and no yeast bite.

Well, if you don't mind losing a half pint, sure, no prob. But, the beer will eventually clear completely from the cooler temps causing flocculation, etc.

I just don't get the preoccupation people have with instantaneous clarification. Beer goes through a maturation process from first pitch to the last drop, man. I say explore and enjoy the changing gift that beer is.

This I hope will be taken in the spirit of IMHO. This is not a statement of fact for any one but myself.

Wahoo! Drink on buddies!

uuurang said:
Well, if you don't mind losing a half pint, sure, no prob. But, the beer will eventually clear completely from the cooler temps causing flocculation, etc.

I just don't get the preoccupation people have with instantaneous clarification. Beer goes through a maturation process from first pitch to the last drop, man. I say explore and enjoy the changing gift that beer is.

This I hope will be taken in the spirit of IMHO. This is not a statement of fact for any one but myself.

Wahoo! Drink on buddies!
Accepted. But if you saw most my dip tubes you'd understand. Soda companies try to deliver every last drop out of their kegs so those dip tubes practically touch the bottoms. There's no way I'm ever avoiding yanking up yeast slurry with the dip tubes set at factory length.

I haven't trimmed mine and I notice that it's just the first pint or two that you get some yeast. At that point, a 2" disc of clarity forms near the tube....until you disturb the keg again. I don't know that I'd take 1/2", but maybe a 1/4" would be nice. I'm just too lazy.

BierMuncher said:
Accepted. But if you saw most my dip tubes you'd understand. Soda companies try to deliver every last drop out of their kegs so those dip tubes practically touch the bottoms. There's no way I'm ever avoiding yanking up yeast slurry with the dip tubes set at factory length.

Yep, I/2 on the secondary, none on the serving keg. haven't had any probs. I'm with you Biermuncher.......:)

Lose the first pint due to yeast, lose the last cutting the dip tube. I didn't cut mine, keg from the fermenter and really haven't had a problem with yeast.

david_42 said:
Lose the first pint due to yeast, lose the last cutting the dip tube.

Right, either way you loose it, so wouldn't you rather pull that crap out as soon as possible instead of letting your beer sit on it until the keg is out? Leading me to probably not cut mine.

Back