Mikes Belgian strong dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this recipe out of Zymurgy some time back it was all about Belgian beers. Well the guy that came up with it (Mike Heniff) has I guess like 35 medals for brewing belgian beers (I am sure more now) anyway this is it I will DBBL the recipe this is for 5 gal and I dont know the Eff rate of his system so I am going to assume 75% that seems about average I would like some help or input PLEASE as I have never brewed a Belgian
12.5 #Pilsner
2.25# Vienna
1#Munich
1# CaraMunich
1# belgian candi sugar
0.75#carapils
0.1 OZ of either Carafa ll or chocolate
1.3 OZ pellet Hallertauer Tradition hops 7.1% aau 60min
0.5 OZ pellet Hallertaure Hershbrucker hops 4.4% aau 10 min
0.5 oz "" "" "" "" " " 3 min
he claims 1.095 OG
and with 1/2 gallon slurry of either WL WPL550 or Wyeast 1388 ferment @68 for 10 days FG will be 1.020
IBU of 40

I will use Belgian dark Syrup instead of the sugar and add just a touch of the candi sugar to make up for the small loss of fermentiables in the syrup
any thoughts???
JJ

18.6 lbs of malt? If you halve that...it seems kinda low in malt for a belgian, doesn't it?

There are a few Belgian recipes going around. I am going to revisit this thread. I never did brew this. wasent able to get enough info, I am wondering about the hops and where to get them. I wasent able to find those two diferent types of hallertauer. any suggestions.
Cheers
JJ

Latest posts

Back