eBrewSupply.com: Question for builders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatrickwah

Sponsor
Reaction score
I have a question for the electric brewing crowd.
Due to a mis-type of part numbers, I have hundreds of little flat plastic separators with no din terminals to separate, even worse, it happened twice.
While I'm having the real terminals shipped, my question to you all is:

I have the opportunity to add din rail mountable contactors to the selection.
For those building Kal Clones, this may not be important, but for those who you P-Js designs, it is. Would you be interested in being able to build nearly your entire setup on DIN rail (maybe kick the element SSRs to a bigger heatsink)? The contactors I'm contemplating bringing in are rated for 220v @ 63a, so good for main switches as well as elements, and should be relatively narrow compared to the more common contactors like I already offer, and best of all, can be mounted to the DIN Rail along side the breakers and terminal blocks.

When I pull the trigger on my electric build I have been thinking of having as many of the components as possible mounted on a DIN rail. I think it makes for a nice, clean looking build.

But as with anything, it all depends on the cost. If they were similar in price to the contactors you already carry, I would be interested.

I have been doing a lot of searching online, and my problem is I am not too familiar with the components, so half the time I don't know exactly what I am looking at. So having the components pre-selected so I know they would work is worth something too.

I have the units picked out. I delayed the order for now due to the size of the minimum order quantity combined with the potential cost.
If I do bring these in, it will likely be on my next sea freight order along with more enclosures. They will likely be priced around $25-$30 each.

That seems like a reasonable price. I'll keep checking your site to see if you get them in.

May be some time now before I bring them in. I need inventory to sell before I can add more products at this point.
DIN rail terminals will finally be in stock Tuesday, as will the push and lock e-stops, aside from those it will likely be near the end of the summer when I try to order more products. It is a little disappointing for me as I was hoping to use them for my own build and kit designs.

I used DIN mounted terminals as well as DIN mounted breakers and contactors. These are very nice and help to keep everything neat.

photo-12-1.jpg

stlbeer - Do you have just one DIN rail that is both your Hot and Ground? I purchased a BIAB kit from eBrewSupply, but have always seen builds with Bus Bars instead of DIN rails so I am a little confused.

stlbeer - Do you have just one DIN rail that is both your Hot and Ground? I purchased a BIAB kit from eBrewSupply, but have always seen builds with Bus Bars instead of DIN rails so I am a little confused.

This control panel is powered by 240v, 50a service.

There are 4 DIN rails in the picture above. One for the Ground and Neutral (green and white) on the left, one for the 2 hots (red and black) across the top, then 1 each for the breakers and contactors.

I did not use a grounding contactor for the DIN railing. The DIN rail is screwed into the steel backplane and the backplane is then grounded to the ground terminals.

I ended up with everything being DIN mounted. It made life MUCH easier when it came to install - I could move devices around and get a good feel for fit and placement without the need to drill or tap any special holes. That being said - I didn't spend any extra money to go that way, it just happened that everything I bought was DIN mount and so I spent a few bucks on some DIN rails.

Definitely worth it if the price is right, but I wouldn't spend a bunch of extra money for the DIN mount option because once the panel is built, we shouldn't need to swap parts frequently like the DIN system allows for.

Back