considering mypin TA4 or sestos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucfanmike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am getting parts together for my single tier build. It will be 3 burner herms. I am choosing to go with 3 burners and full gas automation for maximum versatility. It will be low pressure lp with honeywell 8200 valves. The cost is adding up fast and im about to purchase the electronics package. Looking at pids and reading tons of posts, mostly in the electric section because thats where most of the pid talk takes place. Been following drkwoods build also because thats really close to what I am building. Here is my question on pids. I can get mypin TA4 or sestos pids for about $20, half the cost of auberins. Most of the reasons people don't recommend these is the absence of a manual mode, and some are relay output only instead of ssr. I dont think these short comings are going to compromise my build at all. My understanding from what I have read is that the relay output is plenty to control the honeywells. When it comes to boil i would just use the HOA switch to put the burner on manual anyway. Is it worth the maybe 80-90 savings to go this route. Someone help me out here and talk me out of it if its going to cause headaches down the road. Also are RTDs really that different, im looking and finding alot of shielded cable ones on ebay for $10 instead of the 30 at some of the other sites.

I haven't used the TA4 but just quickly looking over the specs I see no reason why they wouldn't work.

Where were you thinking of ordering these? Planning my own build now and might have to consider these.

I see they have a timer as well if you were thinking of putting a timer in your panel.

For your Gas Valves switch the 24 VAC side. This way a low amp relay contact on a PID is just fine. Unless we are controlling a large amp draw device like a RIMS heater, we use mechanical relays or relay modules. SSRs are big and generate a lot of heat.

Just ran across this post after finding the same PIDs on Ebay. I was just wondering if you got them and, if you did, what you thought of them. I'd love to save some money without crimping quality too much.

I ended up ordering 2 of the TA4 controllers from eBay. I haven't finished building my system yet so I can't comment on how they work, but for on/off control of a burner I see no reason why they won't. They have an alarm which I also intend to use. Price was right. Got 2 shipped to me for about $50.

I also picked up a Sestos timer for $24 shipped.

i havent picked them up yet, slowly gathering parts and getting the basic stand finished. My friend who has a mobile home furnace repair biz gave me 5 gas valves. Im in the middle of researching them. They all have 24vac like the honeywells. All have thermocoupled pilot lights, so I think they should work just like the honeywells everyone else uses.

Mike,
I am using the Rex C-100's with K-Type thermocouples. I would really like to hear how your PID's work compared to the C-100's. Please keep us up with how you system is working and any issues you encounter along the way. Thanks!!!
Wheelchair Bob

Back