? about krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marx102

Reaction score
So I am brewing a saison and I just moved it from the basement to the upstairs closet because it is a few, maybe 4-6, degrees warmer. In transportation the krausen fell. Since I normally brew in buckets I don't see the behavior of the krausen. I am brewing in a 5 gallon glass carboy, I shattered the 6.5 gallon hence buckets from here out, which allows me to experiment with beers I know my wife might not like.
So does it matter that the krausen fell. My instinct tells me no because it is still viable yeast. I find that the more I learn the less I realize I know.
All my searched came up with "my krausen hasn't fallen" threads.
thanks

That is kinda my thought. I wonder if a second krausen could form if the yeast are really still active?

That is kinda my thought. I wonder if a second krausen could form if the yeast are really still active?

Yeah it's possible. If fermentation isn't all the far along. Or maybe if you gave it another nudge, or racked to secondary. We get that all the time among new brewers who rack because their instructions say rack after 7 days, not by hydrometer readings. If they had a 72 hour lag time, then racked on day 7 they sometimes get krausens re-forming in secondary.

Back