Spec'ing burners for 15gal brutus-style stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_A

Reaction score
So I've decided to build a single-tier stand capable of doing the 15 gallon batches I dream of. I'm going to start off simple and add on the sophisticated stuff later - no RIMS/HERMS, electronically actuated valves or controls here... yet.

I'm going to use a direct-fired, recirculating MLT. And to save some dough I'm probably going to use 3 gauge Aluminum pots, 25gal each.

Now it's time to spec burners. I'll be brewing in a well-enough ventilated garage, so wind is not a major concern. The biggest question I have is - is it feasible to use a smaller burner for the MLT? So far, I'm thinking of using KAB4's for the HLT / BK, and maybe a SP10 for the MLT.

With as much mass as will be in the MLT, I'm hoping to not need much heat but the Al pots sure won't insulate like Igloo's. I'll definitely wrap the MLT, but should I just go with KAB4's all around? Would I be able to use the same pressure on all 3 (if I'm using 2x KAB4 and 1x SP10) or have to get different regulators?

Or again, am I entirely on the wrong page and should I go with something completely different than the KAB4 or SP10?

Thanks guys.

I like bayou classic BG-10 high pressure cast burners with a 30psi adjustable regulator on a 3-way split manifold (with individual needle valves) to all three burners, on one propane tank.

That gives you ultimate flexibility, with the option to run all three burners full out simultaneously, and any combination in between.

And it's economical to boot.

...This post makes me want to brew some beer.

Might need a source of warm water to keep the tank from dropping pressure if you do that. With a 25G megapot (update international - same thing) the output of my propane drops SIGNIFICANTLY if I run at 1-2G per hour boil off rate. So at that point, it drops to less than my desired boil off rate, with the valve full-open, because the pressure of the gas above the liquid in the tank is so low. One time I had to go to the welding shop, in between brews on a double header, to get more gas. I had to lift up about 6'' of frozen mud with the tank - yes it was sitting on moist ground. Just FYI...

I like bayou classic BG-10 high pressure cast burners with a 30psi adjustable regulator on a 3-way split manifold (with individual needle valves) to all three burners, on one propane tank.

Sounds good, do you brew 10-15gal batches? My main concerns are time it takes to heat the HLT, time to boil, and being able to step temps up in the MLT reasonably quickly. Another concern is concentrated heat / scorching, since I'll be using direct-fire + recirculation. That's why I was thinking of going a bigger burner like the banjo even for the MLT - just keep it very very low. But I see that BG10's are very reasonably priced, especially compared to banjos.

Thanks for the feedback regarding warming the tanks though, that's a new concept for me but I should be able to handle that - get a keg bucket and fill with warm water.

Back