Planning electric brewery, wiring help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maltose

Reaction score
Yes, there are probably 50 threads on this, but I'd like some guidance for my specific application. Here's my plan:

Single Tier 10 gallon HERMS
- 3 keggles, two with full false bottoms
- eBK 5500w ULWD RIPP
- eHLT 5500w ULWD RIPP
- 2 March 809 pumps
- HLT has SYL-2352 controlling eBK element via 40A SSRD
- BK has SYL-2352 controlling eHLT element via 40A SSRD
- MLT has SYL-2352 to show actual temperature in MLT
- countdown timer
- RTD probes @ HLT, MLT, BK, and wort out of HLT HEX
- 3-piece ball valves

Here are some shots of my basement. I'm planning on using my existing 240V outlet for my dryer. There is also hot and cold water spigots as well as a dryer vent right beside it, so it seems like the best place for a eHERMS:ban:

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys!

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

The first picture is from the main breaker, also in the basement.

The actual breaker that supplies my dryer 3-prong outlet has two linked switches that both say 30. Does this mean this breaker is rated for 30A or 60A? There is no mention of GFCI on this breaker.

Also, is there a way to change my 3 prong to a 4 prong?

The first picture is from the main breaker, also in the basement.

The actual breaker that supplies my dryer 3-prong outlet has two linked switches that both say 30. Does this mean this breaker is rated for 30A or 60A? There is no mention of GFCI on this breaker.

Also, is there a way to change my 3 prong to a 4 prong?

I've been drinking, but.... That's a double pole 30 amp breaker, rated for 30 amp.
I think, for whatever reason, 240v takes a double pole breaker. I think.:cross:
I'm almost 71% positive its only rated for 30 amps at 240volts. Word.

I've been drinking, but.... That's a double pole 30 amp breaker, rated for 30 amp.
I think, for whatever reason, 240v takes a double pole breaker. I think.:cross:
I'm almost 71% positive its only rated for 30 amps at 240volts. Word.

WW, I'm sure you had a few pints when building that righteous brew shed, and that didn't turn out too bad ;)

I've seen other applications that looked similar, and I think they are 30A double pole breakers and that my 5500W elements will pull around 24A during full use, per element of course.

Will 30A be enough to run my element and also a pump or maybe two at one time?

30 amp NO GFCI + 5500 Watt * 2= no pinche bueno for electric brewing. At 30 amps you can run ONE element at a time plus one pump and be right at the 80/20 rule. You will need to add GFCI anyway so my suggestion is if you have 2 open spaces on your main panel get a 50 amp GFCI spa panel and run a new 6/3 w/ground to it. This will allow you to have more flexibility in your design. This will run you about $100 for the panel and about $2.30 per foot on your new 6/3 cable. Just my 2 cents.

Could you place a GFCI after the 30A double post breaker?

I was only planning on running one element at a time.

You can add a GFI after your double pole 30A breaker. I have read here that a lot of people use spa panels to do this. You can get a 50A spa panel from HD for about $50, however you would still only have 30A available if you installed this on your line out of the 30A breaker. Cutler Hammer may have a double pole GFI available. Then you could just change the breaker out.

There are a lot of ways to do what you want to do. If you have space in your main panel you could install a 50A double pole GFI breaker and run a new line. You would be able to run more that one element a time that way.

You can add a GFI after your double pole 30A breaker. I have read here that a lot of people use spa panels to do this. You can get a 50A spa panel from HD for about $50, however you would still only have 30A available if you installed this on your line out of the 30A breaker. Cutler Hammer may have a double pole GFI available. Then you could just change the breaker out.

There are a lot of ways to do what you want to do. If you have space in your main panel you could install a 50A double pole GFI breaker and run a new line. You would be able to run more that one element a time that way.

I can't picture a scenario where I'd want two elements on at the same time, except for a back-to-back batch where I could heat my strike water during my boil. Even for CIP, I could use the HLT as a hot PBW reservoir. Looks like a spa panel is the way to go. I think I have this right....from my 30A DP breaker, I'll run a cable into a 50A GFCI spa panel (which will really only have 30A service) then run that to my control panel which is now all protected by a GFCI behind it?

Back